SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlyotter

Amaryllis under lights

cuddlyotter
15 years ago

Hello Everyone:

Wow...time flies... I haven't been on here in a long time...busy with other stuff which has included processing macro pics I took of my Red Lion and Gilmar Amaryllis taken WAY back in January of 08...UGH.

My question pertains to the lighting I'm using for my Amaryllis. I had sent a posting way back asking if anyone had any good experience using High Pressure Sodium lights on their Amaryllis. A few people indicated they had good results and that I shouldn't have much of a problem. One of the things I'm realizing though is that I don't think I mentioned that there is no other natural light supplementing what the HID lights. What I've read about HID lighting for High Pressure Sodium and for Metal Halide lighting is that both systems seem to perform better (i.e. the plants perform better) if there is additional sunlight on the plants as well.

The reason I'm asking this is because, once again, I've gone through all of my plants and not only have very few sized up again with plenty of leaf growth but also there are a good number that have weak root growth which really concerns me. I've been fairly diligent in my watering practices in that I do allow the soil to dry out somewhat before watering again and try my darndest not to have any water sitting in the saucer. Some of the root systems have rotted away entirely leaving just the bulb and I have lost my Benfica entirely. Rot set into the basal plate killing the growing point. On the others that have lost their root systems I have noticed that there are a few small roots emerging from the basal plates higher up (I notice with older bulbs that the basal plate keeps "extending" as the bulb grows older).

So if anyone has any input/experience in this regard, I'd really appreciate the feedback. Again, the light that I use is a 400W HPS lamp that is on for 12 to 14 hours a day. I have not been able to measure the foot candles as I've not found the right equipment yet.

Thanks much.

Gerard.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions