SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sqinaz

Keeping my dog safe...

sqinaz
15 years ago

Supposedly, in Arizona, 99.9% of the honey bee population is now the aggressive, Africanized variety. There have been several dogs killed already this year by swarms that came out of nowhere. The dog owners stood by helplessly while their dogs were stung to death. I don't want that to happen to my dog.

As a note, one article I read said that bees are attracted to the scent a dog gives off when it is running. Also, these bees are attracted to barking dogs. Great. My border collie runs across the back yard and barks at the neighbor's dogs whenever I let her out. :( I've thought of bathing her regularly, but most dog shampoos are scented, and I don't wear any scents in the summer in order to not attract bees, and don't want a scented dog attracting more bees than she would normally.

Firefighters out here use some sort of foam to stop these bee attacks. Several posts in another thread said that soapy water will kill bees. I need something that I can keep by my patio door and grab quickly should my dog (or I) ever get attacked. Any suggestions?

I thought of a fire extinguisher, but don't know if that foam would ward off/kill the attacking bees. A spray bottle of soapy water sounds ineffective when you are talking about an aggressive swarm. Would a Super Soaker filled with soapy water do? And what type of soap works best, and what percentage of soap to water?

So many questions, but I just want to keep my dog safe.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville