SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Mystery Bulb Experiment

10 years ago

I received these bulbs from someone in Miami. They have never bloomed for that person in the 7 years they have owned the property, and it is possible that they are an old heirloom of some sort, as the house is from the 30s and previously an elderly couple had lived there for many years.

I'm going to see if I can get them to bloom to find out what they are. Here they all are, after trimming them up:

{{gwi:421150}}

For old bulbs from an undisturbed clump, they are quite small, and interestingly enough, only one had an offset. The foliage is very narrow, and they have been buried pretty deep and have long necks.

Here's a close up of the largest one, with one offset forming:
{{gwi:421151}}

{{gwi:421152}}

I did a variety of trimming from very little to a lot and will plant them in a variety of areas in my yard that other hippeastrums like and see what happens.

Group 1:
Planted in the best hippeastrum spot in my yard in filtered light with good drainage. I put the biggest bulb here for the best chance at a bloom.
{{gwi:421153}}
{{gwi:421154}}

Group 2:
This group is an experiment in planting depth. The one on the far right is the depth from which it was dug, and I incrementally planted shallower until the one on the left only has its basal plate in the ground.
{{gwi:421155}}
{{gwi:421156}}

Group 3:
This group is an experiment in neck trimming. I planted all at what I consider the "correct" depth for my zone, with the top of the bulb just under the soil. And I trimmed the necks from very long to flush with the ground.
{{gwi:421158}}
{{gwi:421159}}

Group 4:
This group was planted in a very sandy and dry location at the base of a maple tree:
{{gwi:421161}}
{{gwi:421163}}

Group 5:
The last group is planted in a sunny location with excellent soil that is quite dry because the large purple crinum behind it absorbs most of the water. I have had success getting one other reluctant bloomer to bloom in this location.
{{gwi:421165}}
{{gwi:421168}}

Thanks for looking. Any guesses what will happen? Which will grow best and which are most likely to bloom?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions