SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfharr

9B 'winter'coming to 2 month old bunch of Dwarf Cavendish

karenfharr
18 years ago

This site is great!... learning a lot from reading all the old threads, but haven't come away with answers to my specific situation. I have an approx. year and a half old Dwarf Cavendish in the ground in zone 9B that was 3-4 feet high at the beginning of last winter. I mulched around it, up to about 1-2 feet high against the pseudostem, without using a frame to hold the mulch, so it was a cone-shaped pile of mulch. With only 2-3 near-frost nights all winter, it still got really mushy before spring, but by now is 7-8 feet tall. The main pseudostem has an approximately 2 month-old bunch of bananas, and a smaller pseudostem with a bunch still almost totally hidden in the leaves/petals of the inflorescence (?correct term for the big purple flowering part?)

The leaves are already yellowing and browning like they did last year in the fall, although it's only gotten down to 55-60 degrees overnight once or twice so far, and high's are in the 60's-near 80. I'm trying to figure out when I should cut the bunch from the plant and bring them in to try to ripen before they get cold-damage or start to rot or something. Today I cut off the distal part of the larger bunch that has no bananas of any significant size (maybe 1/3 of it), since I read here that the bunch may ripen faster that way.

Should I leave the bunches of fruit alone until a frost warning to give them more of a chance to develop into something that will ripen after being picked? Cut it off at a certain nighttime low temp? If I get no expert answers here, my inclination is to harvest when it routinely gets down to 50 at night, since below that temp is not good for bananas (just like refrigerating them).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm