SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

hippeastrum vs hymenocallis

10 years ago

I received a pot of bulbs in trade that were supposed to be a white flowered crinum. But looking closely, I don't think it is a crinum. The foliage doesn't have the characteristic rosette formation of the leaves, but instead has leaves that look a lot more like hippeastrums. I've yet to see them bloom. The person I got them from said they can take wet conditions and a lot of sun. That's where they are now - soggy and hot up against the south side of my house. They seem happy there, still in a pot. It is an extremely crowded clump, and I'm wondering if I should pull it apart? If they are hippeastrums - then yes. But the liking for a soggy hot spot makes me think that isn't what they are. So I'm wondering if they are maybe some form of hymenocallis. The white bloom of some of those can be confused with some types of crinum blooms, so that seems like a possibility.

Anybody know how to tell a hymenocallis bulb from a hippeastrum? Does it have any distinctive shape characteristics? And do they like to be divided, or left undisturbed like crinums?

Was going to take a picture, but a thundershower just started dumping rain, so will have to post a pic later...

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions