SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Wanna see my jungle? :-P

pitimpinai
14 years ago

In my front yard. We lost the big tree by the curb. So my hostas are frying in the sun:

{{gwi:284929}}

We got so much rain this year, my Hydrangea ÂAnnabelle grew to 5+ ft. tall!:

{{gwi:284927}}

It really is a jungle. My lawn is long gone. :-D

{{gwi:5114}}

{{gwi:250101}}

{{gwi:284926}}

By side door looking toward the alley:

{{gwi:422462}}

As you can see; I am a stuffer. :-)

Comments (47)

• patrushka
    14 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful!!! I love it! Thanks for sharing. : )

Pat

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

Wow! That is awesome!
    If I lived in town I'd hope my lot looked as great as yours.

• Related Discussions

Aloes in my jungle ~warning: many pix

Q

Comments (4)
    "Full FUN" is good Kate! I know, I know, you meant full "sun", but we'll have fun anyway! Mine thrive on Neglect...& our gorgeous weather! Thanks, Dawn! I like them too! Should we put your name on one of them too? Nothing so fancy as Al did, of course! :P ~R
    ...See More

Got my backsplash tile yesterday, wanna see?

Q

Comments (26)
    cindy, here is a picture of the cabs above my range: The door to the left is as low as it can go, and is 1/4" higher than the double doors in the middle. The rightmost "door" is actually a fixed end panel, and is under 1/8" off from the doors in the middle. No way to line them all up. Note that the bottoms of the cabs flanking the hood are perfectly aligned, so this is not an installation problem. A closeup of the left transition (please overlook my GC's attempt at using filler pieces): The drawers in the island have some major variation (5/16") also, but it could probably have been fixed if we or the GC had noticed it before the pulls went on. :( In Starmark's defense, I did not call this to their attention, so gave them no opportunity to make it right. Remodel fatigue -- I decided to live with it, and I don't notice it anymore. allison, those pendants are Pottery Barn. They originally came with chains, but I really dislike chains for pendants, so my GC replaced them with the fabric-covered wire.
    ...See More

Wanna see my DD's dorm stuff?

Q

Comments (12)
    Love the colors! My DD has the same idea but in pinks. I posted a pic of her dorm room here last year that I took when visiting further into the semester. My kid actually had the neatest area in the room. You see, she slept on top of her comforter so that she didn't have to make the bed every morning. lol A little eccentric, can't imagine where she gets that from:). DD was in a 3 dorm with a study suite across the hall. DD has the same lamp as your DD's, only different colors. We didn't buy curtains either. DD and her roommates went out shopping during the first few days before classes started for last minute additions. I think (I hope) DD will be paring back significantly this year as she will be in a 2 room with no suite. Also, I am NOT dragging all that extra stuff home again at the end of her Spring semester. Kids seem to "collect" more stuff once they get to school. They find that they need this or that, said things add up significantly by the end of the year! We spent the better part of last summer getting DD ready for freshman year. Such a special time, exciting and yet bittersweet. How many hours from home will she be? DD is just about 2 hrs. Not too far, not too close either. I can't imagine trying to send all of that half way across the Country. Has your DD been assigned her roommate yet? DD didn't "meet" hers online until after August 1st last year. We did most of our shopping at BBB and Target. Thanks for sharing. It won't be long before school starts!
    ...See More

Since we don't have many posts, wanna see some pics?

Q

Comments (22)
    westchestermom, he's such a sweetie! sorry - never answered the granite questions... one on the far right - white spring. one in the middle - typhoon bordeaux one on the far left - not sure (they only had numbers) but I think it's something like gold & silver. Ended up not choosing any of them.... The white spring didn't look like the sample - too much pink in it and not enough beige/caramel. The TB had the right colors, and I thought I'd tagged the slab I wanted, but it turns out they only tag from the lot, and the ones that they had when I went back had lots more grey than I wanted, and just didn't make me fall in love. The other one was a ridiculous price. Now I've got a slab of Namibian Gold on hold and I really like it and I'm probably going with that. It was way cheaper than the TB too, which fits my "overbudget" budget.
    ...See More
  • pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, hey, hey. Thanks. I would love to have a bigger yard, but I make do. :-)

Love this Clematis. So fragrant. C. ÂBetty CorningÂ:
    {{gwi:241309}}
    {{gwi:241310}}
    C. ÂPrince Charles & ÂViolaÂ. I really like small flowering Clematis. They truly bloom profusely. Never fail:
    {{gwi:241314}}
    My roses have not done well these past few years. The winter has been harsh for them:
    {{gwi:422463}}
    I like this combination:
    {{gwi:28314}}
    This too:
    {{gwi:255989}}
    I love them bright too:
    {{gwi:255986}}
    A Clematis from a seedling found in the garden:
    {{gwi:375907}}
    C. ÂVenosa violacea & ÂMadame Julia CorrevonÂ:
    {{gwi:422464}}

A favorite lily: Lileum ÂRegale AlbumÂ. They are well over 5 ft. tall and very fragrant:
    {{gwi:422465}}

Clematis jackmanii & ÂEtoile Violette from stem layering. Ellen, I grab those trellises from the plant swap. Got 10 of them. Lol These are in the back alley by my garage:
    {{gwi:375909}}

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Everything is so full and gorgeous.

• patrushka
    14 years ago

Wow! Those pics are gorgeous! They could be in the pages of a gardening book.

Pat

• daisy08(London UK)
    14 years ago

Wow!!!!!
    since morning i am looking at it again and again and again...
    i am lost in your jungle :)

• PVick
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, pit! And all those clematis!!!

PV

• donn_
    14 years ago

Beautiful! But what's the story on that empty space??

{{gwi:422466}}

• drippy
    14 years ago

Pitimpani, your property looks like what might be encountered in the cities in England or Scotland - it makes perfectly good sense to me to eliminate the lawn in a small space and fill it with much more desirable flowers. Good work!!

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Mone,

Your garden is simply stunning! The color combination is perfect! It's given me ideas again. But in order for me to make that idea happen, I need plants again. LOL :D hehehe

It is absolutely beautiful!!! :)

Thanks for the pictures!

Neil

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Love how you stuff! I keep looking at your trellis by the alley...Wowzers that is wonderful! Everyting is wonderful...Beautiful gardens you have done a great job..That lily is huge.....

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

• shemeows
    14 years ago

I'm drooling here! It's gorgeous, no other way to describe it.

• northforker
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! I love the fullness, the variety and the maturity of everything (no skinny, lacky plants here!)

• laura_in_cinti
    14 years ago

Everything is so beautiful and lush!! Just gorgeous!

• sheltieche
    14 years ago

yep, stunning! my style of gardening, stuff it until no space left...
    those clemmies are gorgeous I wish I had more sun for mine, I almost did not recognized your EV
    now couple of plants I did not recognize at all- what is flower growing with geranium sangiuneum- blue star like- it is some bulb- like it
    second what is the tallish white button like flower under EV and Jack
    love those lilies
    there is Lily Show July 12 at CBG, they looking for entries, you might want to try, bet you will win few ribbons....

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

You could charge admission to see a show like that! What a beautiful sight. I keep thinking about clematis, and I am happy to learn which ones to get, thanks for the heads-up.

Mary

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

Love your gardens!
    What is the little blue flower by the lambs ears?

I am jealous. I am still in the baby stages here.
    Grasshopper damage is terrible!

Mary

• karendee
    14 years ago

I love it!!!

Thanks for posting pics!

I have one small bloom on the Annabelle you gave me.

I also have some of the bee balm blooming. it is so bright and pretty. Almost looks bright pink.

Very nice gardens!

Karen

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Add another Absolutely Beautiful to the list. People can tell you have worked your off on that garden. Very well done. Such a pretty urban jungle.

Paula

• carrie630
    14 years ago

Okay... I'm coming over to sit in your "jungle" - which is really not a jungle but a beautiful garden. Your bee balm looks so green and healthy - mine is peetering out - and looking terrible here in NC -

Everything looks so healthy - Thanks

Carrie

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Very nice jungle, I love it. Thanks for posting the pics. That Betty Corning Clem is lovely, I really like the bell-shaped ones! I also like the red Clem, Madame Julia Correvon.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

WOWSERS!!! Just amazing and spectacular! I think I'll join Carrie and maybe we'll even move next door to you. DH - who's not a gardener - even thought it was beautiful. Takes a lot for him to pause and look at gardens and your paradise caught his attention!

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous, Mone! I have jungles too, but they're just messes of jumbled up flowers. Yours are incredibly beautiful.

Like Donn, I wondered about the big empty space? Are you planning to bury somebody there? You do have more flowers than a cemetery.

Karen

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone. ThatÂs what I posted the pics for. lol A boost doesn't hurt. :-)
    A colleague dropped me off once. He teased me that I missed a spot right there. Lol
    I cannot stand any bare spot. :-D If I see one, I promptly plant something there. Each spot is literally planted 2 Â 3 times. Then I let them fight it out.

I would love to have all of you as neighbors. It would be fabulous! I have been expanding my territory little by little. Right now I plant on my neighborÂs next door on both sides as well as a few across the street  or supply them with my WS plants. It really is fun.

The little blue star like flower is Triteleia or Brodiaea ÂQueen FabiolaÂ
    The white button is Feverfew:

{{gwi:241324}}
    Other forms are also in bloom:

{{gwi:343791}} {{gwi:241322}} {{gwi:241323}}

Oh, no, Ellen. Your garden is absolutely fabulous. I won't want to change it. How I long for a little shade now...so I can plant some more shade plants like yours.

Clematis durandii. This one is rather annoying, because it does not cling to anything:
    {{gwi:236011}}

Other lily, possibly ÂKing PeteÂ:
    {{gwi:339799}}
    Japanese Iris (Iris ensata):
    {{gwi:422467}}

Oh, no, Donn. That is not an empty space at all. It is full of miniature spring bulbs. Like so: {{gwi:9611}} {{gwi:422468}} {{gwi:422469}} {{gwi:360457}}

Neil, Any time. Any time. I layered some more stuff for you already. Some may be ready this fall. I think youÂll like them. Has your wife changed her mind about the garden yet?

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Mone,

She is so happy, very happy! :D However, she is still a little bit against me in making more beds. She always thinks of her kids. LOL. jk. She always tell me that she wants to have a big play area for the kids.

I looked at your plants again! This time, my jaw dropped!!! I can't take my eyes out of your "C. ÂVenosa violacea & ÂMadame Julia CorrevonÂ" picture. It is absolutely stunning! Do you have seeds of those? Oh, there is another plant of yours that I love. It's the plant with blue flowers and beside the lamb's ear.

I can't wait for my feverfew. I saw tons of flower buds :D I think, I have 12-15 plants that haven't bloom yet and some of them are showing flower buds. :D

Yeah, I can swing by at your place maybe late September? I'm not sure if I can make it to the swap.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden pics! Hope to see more!!! :D

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The little blue flower is Triteleia or Brodiaea ÂQueen FabiolaÂ

I have never collected seeds of those clematis.
    Most of my clematis are bought plants. There are a couple nice nurseries that I bought them from. One is Gardencrossings. The other I believe is Dave Hills??? I'll have to check. Their plants are fabulous.

Clematis take a few years to show their full glory.
    I layered a couple C. Venosa Violacea with you in mind. This is the first time I tried to layer this clem. We'll see how successful I'll be.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Absolutely wonderful pitimpi,
    I love all the dark and bold colors and the combinations are lovely. I'm sure the little dell you made of spring bulbs is the most lovely spot in the yard in the early spring.
    I have a dark green hosta that does well in full sun, let me know if you ever want some. It gets about three foot full grown.
    Your clematis are amazing and I remember showing pics of your yard to my husband last year. He loved it, no yard to mow.
    Also you can't call it a jungle if I can't see any grass growing in it. :)

• token28001
    14 years ago

Well it's really just beautiful. I love to see gardens so full and lush. Your bee balm and gloriosa daisy grouping was what I wanted to do this year. My bee balm turned out pink (from trade) and my gloriosa daisies are brown with orange petals. *sign*

I'll try to steal your idea again next year.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

Oh that is a gorgeous garden. I think we must like similar things; I have a Venosa violacea and Madame Julia Correvon too, though not planted together. At what time of year do you do your layering? How much sun does the layered section need? I tried it once on a couple clematis but could not get it to work.

I am also thinking of getting a few japanese iris; what is the name of yours?

Thank you for sharing pictures of your fabulous garden!

Lois in PA

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

I just love it.
    Oh to be able to not have to start up that mower on Saturday mornings.
    I can only dream.
    But your beautiful pictures make it really easy.
    Bonnie : )

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

Pitimpinai ,
    Thank you for the info on the blue flower. I sure like them
    The Feverfew is something else I am now coveting!

Did I mention I love the red monarda?? lol

Mary

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

I remember seeing that gorgeous view back towards the alley sometime over winter perhaps as you were giving us a "blues break"...it's still awe inspiring!

I see what I think is one of the Allium christophii you said you "stuff in" peeking out on the right of that first photo of Hosta. I thought it was shorter than I remembered but then I saw the Hosta was almost as large as you Hydrangea...LOL.

If I had to walk through that alley to get out to work I don't think I'd ever leave.

Gorgeous as always.

Thanks for giving us such a treat.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone :-)
    Karen, just saw you comments. :-D Oh, no. I love your garden and the vibrant clors....not jumbled at all.
    You are right, I buried a lot of dead plants...composting in situ is what I do.

floodatlast, dk green hosta?? Yeah! Trade with Hydrangea 'Annabelle'? I love this hydrangea. Fabulous and easy in both sun and shade.

token, want some R. hirta seeds and red beebalms? :-) I have tons to spare. I have sent folks here seeds and plants over the years. Everyone told me he/she's very happy with them.

lois, I stole the idea of planting Venosa violacea & Mme J Correvon from someone on the Clematis forum. :-) I layer them in early summer after the stems have grown a bit woody. I have had only success with jackmanii & viticella. No luck with large flowering clems. Sun requirement? I have never considered that aspect. not much, I guess, since I just lower the low stems to the ground, scrape off the bottom side of the stems then cover them with soil the hold them down with a brick or two.

Can't remember the name of that Japanese Iris. I believe I got a collection from Park's seeds years ago. I don't think they were named. This is the only survivor of the collection.

Jennypat, no lawn to mow-exactly. And Neil, that's the idea. You can keep only one lart of your lawn for your kids. :-)

friesfan1, Get back to me late summer. I can send you some beebalm and feverfew seeds. I have tons to share.

Newbie in nj, That hosta is VERY, VERY tall. lol. It's flower stalks are 5 ft tall. lol.

Thanks again every one for the compliments.
    And those who are interested, pls. email me later in the season. I can send you whatever I can split for postage or trades. H. 'Annabelle' is best dug up in March. Beebalms can be shipped late summer-early fall.

I am writing you guys from New Hampshire! Can you believe it? I am on my way to see tiffy's garden. lol. But I am taking in the scenery along the way. Drove to this part via Toronto & Montreal then through NE Vermont. This is the first time I took this part of the country. Absolutely beautiful. Breathtaking. Heading to Acadia national Park tomorrow.

Cheers. :-)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

That is just gorgeous, everything crammed together and you made it work! So many plants I'm not familiar with, love the clems and that feverfew or whatever that is.

Also I noticed that you live in a more traditional neighborhood with the houses close together (like mine only I'm on a corner which helps feel less closed in). By having all those flowers crammed in there, it looks like a little piece of heaven.

I'm just flabberghasted by what all you've done. I've got a hankering for some peonies but no good place to put them so they'll look more integrated.

P.S. I hope I don't get quite that ambitious as I don't think I could keep it all mulched, weeded and watered.

I'll bet people admire your yard from miles away. Thanks for sharing.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, aliska.

Actually for the past five years, the garden requires a lot less work than ever before.

That's because I plant tightly close and mulch heavily with compost, leaf mold, shredded leaves, and horse manure with a lot of horse bedding (fine wood chips) mixed in. That really keeps weeds down to the minimum and moisture to the maximum.

I usually take a month vacation in summer every year and never really have to worry about watering except for potted plants.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

I keep coming back and looking at these pics! They are so beautiful.

can you tell me the name of the dark green upright hosta?, it's right behind the low growing bright green one. I love the way it grows...

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

I LOVE your garden!! Gorgeous flowers and I love the overstuffed look! Those Clematis are to die for!!! You did a wonderful job !!!
    Joann

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

What a great 'jungle' you have going there, pitimpinai! It has grown a lot since the last time I saw photos. Some of my hostas are in too much sun too. I need to move them. I don't understand how your Annabelle Hydrangea is upright, mine has been on the ground since mid June. All that rain and not enough sun. That Hosta in front of it is huge! I have a lot growing in my front, but you have me beat by a mile. [g] I think our front yards might be the same size. I still have some grass. :-) Your clematis look wonderful and I love that 'Betty Corning'. I didn't know it was fragrant. About your roses....I almost ripped out mine last year, they were so bad. I cut them down to stubs in late June, just to get rid of the awful foliage while I was waiting for someone to dig them out for me. They came back looking pretty good for the rest of the summer, so I left them alone, even though they never bloomed. I was given some advice from a friend who also gardens organically, that she uses organic fertilizer and alfalfa meal in the spring and then after the first flush of bloom. So I did that and added my own compost to the mix and the roses did very well this year and I have an abundant rebloom going on right now, with very healthy foliage. I couldn't find alfalfa meal, so I got pellets. .... I think the trellis that you found at a plant swap are so pretty! Very delicate looking. Iris ensata, 'King Pete' are pretty and your feverfew are so cute. Do they get away from you at all?

Well, what fun to take a tour! Your garden is as magical as I remember. You must be getting a lot of pleasure from it this year. :-)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, isharefloweres, Joann & prairiemoon2,
    That blue-green upright hosta is 'Kossa Regal'. It took many, many years to get that look. Regal is an apt description for him. I dug up a piece and gave it to a lucky person for the first time this year. :-)

The 'Annabelle' was upright because that was in June. Right now she is all over the ground because the flowerheads are simply too big for the stem to hold them upright.

I will have to try alfalfa meal for the roses. I keep forgetting that I have a huge bag of it in the garage. A kind trader sent it to me and I try to keep it going as long as I can. lol.

Yes, this year, my garden is just about the most beautiful of all, even after the flush of Clematis and lilies. Right now Orange Tiger lilies are blooming among other things.

I scatter Feverfew seeds all over the garden. It is not really running away from me, because I have many other things going at the same time. They are so cute, I always have them in my garden from day one.

Thank you again.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Pitimpinai, I don't even like the color purple, but your clematis pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

I'm curious about the feverfew. I first got interested in it from seeing some of Vera's photos, where she has it growing with the Golden Marguerite. What I'm wondering about is all of the different types that you have. When I did a search on feverfew, all I pull up is the basic one, kind of like your last photo. Where did you find seeds for those other ones, like the pincushion-looking ones? I just received some Feverfew seeds in a trade recently, but I'm assuming they are just the traditional kind.

Karen, I just about spit coffee all over my monitor reading your comments about the "empty space". LOL!!!

Bonnie

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie,
    I like purple flowers and purple leaves. :-) They complement yellow and orange plants and flowers very well. They also go well with pink and red. Did you see v1rtu0s1tyÂs pictures of his garden? He has a lot of purple stuffs among bright colored flowers. It is so vibrant and exciting.

The only named Feverfew I have is Tetra White. I bought the seeds from JohnnyÂs Selected seeds:
    Tetra White:
    {{gwi:255032}}

The pom pom or pincushion came with the house. I have been keeping it going for over 20 years:
    {{gwi:241324}}

This one is the species or the original. I found it in my next door neighborÂs yard. She didnÂt care if I took it or not, so I did. Lol. I like this one particularly because it reblooms throughout the season:
    {{gwi:360425}}

This one came from the temple where I created a garden many years ago. I still am working on it:
    {{gwi:241323}}
    {{gwi:343792}}

And this one I think is a cross pollination between the species and the pincushion:
    {{gwi:241322}}

I can send you seeds. When I got back home from a trip, most Feverfew had already set seeds. I was able to identify only the pincushion,Tetra White and the temple one. I had to put all the others as mixed, because I could not remember which plant was which.

Thanks again for the compliments.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Hey, I have some that look like the pom pom or pincushion Feverfew. Except I got the seeds in a SASBE and they were labeled Daisy seeds :)

Nice to know what they are, They are so cute! I am gald they may reseed for me.

Karen

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

I LOVE this!! Exactly what I am trying to achieve. Thankfully, this forum and the seed swappers are what I need to achieve it:))

My front bed is filling in nicely - so nicely in fact that I know have a resident gartner snake. Although I tell myself the snake is a sign of a healthy garden, I am scared...

THANKS for sharing the photos.

Tonight I'll be searching feverfew varieties to get my hands on...

BEAUTIFUL!! I know your neighbors must appreciate your efforts, since I don't live near you and I wish I walked by your yard daily.

• october17
    14 years ago

Hey Pit! When you gonna host the swap? We all want to come visit your garden!

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

Oh Mone!! Your lot is stunningly beautiful!! You cram very well and with much taste :)

I still have "lawn" but I'm working on that LOL!

Love the result of the feverfew crossing....nice! The 'Tetra White' flowers looks exactly like my 'Flore Pleno' from what I can tell in the picture. It's hard to tell with a close up...the flower could be bigger for all I know; plants may be taller? Mine has a compact globe form at maturity and with adequate room is a least 3' tall by about the same wide. When crammed it's much smaller :)

• columbusgardener
    14 years ago

I love those feverfew - I have the pincushion one and the tetra I think -

but if I could trade you for some of your mix - i would work it out -

I love those flowers!

Sponsored