SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Potting Questions

jodik_gw
16 years ago

I have a few questions regarding the repotting of my largest amaryllis...

When grown indoors and treated as a houseplant, what is the best time of year to repot them? I need to bump this one up a pot size, I'm sure, as it's looking quite bound up...

Also... it has an offset... do I have to separate it from the parent bulb when repotting, or can I repot it all as one plant group and allow it grow as a clump in the pot?

And... is there anything special I need to know when repotting amaryllis? Even though I've had my two amaryllis plants for a few years, I've never had to repot them. They've bloomed well, grown well, and have looked quite comfortable in their clay homes this far.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give!

Comments (55)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd love to be able to grow them outside in the garden! Alas, central Illinois is not the climate for that! But I do have good light and large window sills, and even when not in flower, they're such beautiful plants!

I think I'm guilty of over watering... I'm hopeful that my "Apple Blossom" will recover. Lesson learned!

Thank you to everyone in this forum who has helped answer questions!

• soultan
    16 years ago

You can grow them outside, in the garden, even in Alaska. The only thing you have to watch for when the weather turns too cold for them, you have to unearth them and move them inside. It is worth the excercise. All my bulbs that are out in the ground healthy and growing in size, as opposed to the ones being in pots. It was the same in Hungary before... All the ones that were planted out from Spring to Fall were very happy.
    Everyone needs a little excercise anyway. It is not that big of a job to plant them out in Spring, when the air smells soo good anyway, and then remove them when the Fall colors are all around you... Gardening is like some kind of Zen prayer... You are out there and even your heart beat becomes normal... (unless you break your legs or something, but let's not get to that scenario) So I would plant them out until the weather cools down to about 45 F at night.

• Related Discussions

Self Watering Pot Question

Q

Comments (23)
    Whenever I water my plants, I've got containers that are slightly larger, that I'll place the whole pot into. Then I'll fill it all the way up to the soil level and let the plant soak for a half hour. After that, I'll let the pot drain. When you do this, you'll notice how "brown" the water is. This is when I'll pour some fresh water into the pot, letting it slowly flush away the dirty water until the water coming out of the bottom runs much clearer. This helps flush out any excess fertilizer salts and other dissolved solids, preventing them from accumulating in the soil and building up into higher concentrations over time. Provided that the soil doesn't hold on to too much water, and isn't too compacted, preventing the plant's roots from breathing properly, you can't technically "overwater" it. A plant isn't going to absorb any more water than it actually needs. Sure, there are some exceptions to this, such as desert plants. But many houseplants come from our rainforests, where they can get rained on on just about a daily basis. However, the conditions in our homes aren't like the conditions of these habitats. So we have to adjust our care accordingly, while doing our best to provide the conditions that these plants are used to in their native environments. I read all the time about people that're having problems with their plants and then dousing them with fungicides, pesticides, and sometimes homemade concoctions, in order to try and mitigate the many issues that their plants may be having. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against using these treatments whenever they're necessary. But if people took a little time to understand their plants' most basic needs and then do their best to replicate them, you could easily avoid most of the problems that cause these issues in the first place. I don't even remember the last time that I've ever had to use a fungicide, pesticide, etc. In fact, I don't even think that I even own any of these products. Which is surprising, considering the number of plants I have, with new ones always following me home all the time, haha. The "Plant Spa" self-watering pots help tremendously in keeping my plants happy and healthy. I'm sounding like a spokesperson for them, lol, but that's only because these pots work great. They're the only ones I use for the vast majority of my plants. From those that love lots of water, to those that don't. I find that even with the bottom reservoir filled up with water, the plants still soak it up rather quickly. For the plants that don't need to be watered as often, when I do water them, I'll let the water drain away and I'll empty out the reservoir as well. I find that it also comes in handy for keeping any plants from leaking onto other surfaces, catching what little excess water that may come out of the pot later on. That was a problem that I used to encounter quite often, back when I still used ordinary pots.
    ...See More

Rachel - Squat Pot Questions

Q

Comments (22)
    Rachel, you have gone above and beyond what's expected and I am VERY GRATEFUL. I will store this information and review again as many times as necessary. Others my think I'm silly for saying that, but I am honestly so new to this I would've never put any thought into pot selection never even knowing that it could affect the growth and development of the plant. I feel lucky and privileged to have people like you, and so many others on these forums, give freely of their hard earned knowledge. Thank you so very much. You are beyond kind to take the time to respond and in such length. <3
    ...See More

Vinca (Catharanthus) Potting Question

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a 'Sunsplash Apricot' that I grew from seed. I am really liking it. Question is: Is it ok to repot putting it several inches below its current soil level? That is bringing the soil level say 2-3 inches above the exposed stem. I know this is ok with begonias and impatiens. OK with vincas also or would it start rotting? I want to be sure before I try it. Even though I have rooted cuttings from it I don't want to lose the original.
    ...See More

Transplanting lilies in pots questions

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that would totally work. Just make sure that the lilies are planted as deeply and as winter protected as if they were in the ground. Also, in buried pots, they may dry out faster if the weather is dry. Conversely, if the weather is very wet and your native soil is very clay, the pot may become a hole filled with water. Just check on them with some regularity.
    ...See More
  • jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with you on gardening... the outdoors is my "church". I feel completely alive and at peace whenever I am working in the gardens. My favorite scents are flowers, freshly turned earth and homemade compost! Gardening is definitely good for the soul!

I hesitate to bring any of my houseplants out into the gardens here; I've had a lot of problems with moles, japanese beetles, aphids and a few other pests. The barn cats like to dig a bit and lay in the gardens, not to mention the dogs and their destructive habits! Even though the dogs are separated from the gardens by a fence, they seem able to reach far enough through to grab and pull at anything green and growing that's even remotely close to the fencing! There are too many humans here, as well, that don't respect plants and gardening as I do... I'd just prefer to keep my amaryllis' inside where I know they won't be messed with and I can keep an eye on them!

I have a good amount of natural light from windows on all sides of the house. The amaryllis' are in an east window, and they seem to like it there. So does my lone african violet which has been in constant bloom since I moved it there. If I can find which window my new mandevilla likes best, all will be well in my little indoor garden!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I can't tell you how much difference it made to the quality of the bulbs that they are planted out... I had them shrunk before when they were kept inside. They are still blooming, bringing up one scape each. But can you imagine when they are planted out and grow in size? How many scapes should I expect? I hope trillions... :o)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If I didn't fear for their safety, I WOULD plant them outdoors... I know Mother Nature can do a much better job of growing anything to its fullest potential than I could ever hope to!

I think I will try growing a couple outdoors next year. I plan to purchase more bulbs this fall when the stores put out their displays for Christmas forcing. It's much too late in the season to plant them outdoors here now.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I was afraid to plant them out first because of the racoons running around here, but it seems like they are not really interested in the bulbs. Neither are the deers. Though it is true that we erected a tall wooden fence around the garden and the house and behind it, we have a 12-18 feet retainer wall, so there is no animal that would like to jump off from that into the back yard. So far, it seems like I am fortunate. I will have to be careful the California freeze though that happened last year and cost hundred billions of dollars for the citrus industry here...
    But when I went out this Spring, I saw the amaryllis blooming in the gardens that I know were left out. So for safety, I will put my bulbs to sleep when the outside temperature drops around 40 F at night...

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suppose I could just leave the bulbs in their pots and bury the pots in the garden. That would certainly discourage tunneling critters that might like to eat bulbs. It would be rather easy to lift them out in autumn, too...

• soultan
    16 years ago

You believe it or not, I've read about it a lot. It is especially a good idea, if you can plant them in unglazed clay pots. They let the water in and out, so you would not have to worry about inside trapped water either.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Clay is my favorite! They may dry out a bit quicker, but they're much healthier for the plants inside them!

I use clay pots as much as possible. They're not really expensive new, unless you're going for the huge ones! I find a lot of them at garage sales and flea markets.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Even Home Depot has them for cents... Just make sure that they are not glazed. Glaze will prevent fluid freely flow through, thus, it would defy the purpose... I know it looks better when inside, but I don't think it is the good choice if you want to put it in the earth.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

All my amaryllises, except for the seedlings in doughnut container are in clay pots. I use the 2" (or 2 1/4")size up to 10". The amaryllises love it but not my back...lol!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I can imgine. I'm glad I can plant them out directly.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep... good old fashioned unglazed clay... nothing better for the plants... any plants! Although, I sometimes trade the clay saucers for plastic just to save the wood window sills and tables where they sit from moisture damage.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

All of mine (10 at the moment) are in clay as well.

• soultan
    16 years ago

When I plant inside, I don't like unglazed clay. It becomes extremely ugly as opposed to the beauty that is sitting in it, so I use plastic pots as well that I place in a bigger glazed clay pot when I showcase my flowers. Then when they finished, I just simply plant them out free-range... So all those hundreds of unglazed clay pots that I bought last year just sit there acting pretty but looking hideous.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Yes they can look ugly with white markings (from fertilized water residue?) and algea. But you can place the clay pot inside a nice glazed or ceramic pot too. I just soak my ugly clay pots in a bucket of clorox mixture overnight and next day, everything will be easily wiped off and disinfected at the same time. My little ones LOVE to help scrubbing the small pots.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's another good thing about the clay... it allows excess salts and the like to leach out and cling to the pot... then I just wipe the ick off the pots.

I do the same... soak my pots in a diluted bleach and water bath, then scrub them good prior to planting in them. This not only disinfects the pots, it also hydrates the clay so all the moisture isn't sucked out of the soil when you plant in them. I read somewhere, a long time ago, that clay pots should be allowed to soak up water before planting, and it seems to work. I'd say that my plants are happier that way, getting a good start.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

I soak my clay pots in bleach solution for about 24 hours to clean them when they get bad. They almost clean themselves! Removes the mineral deposits easily. About 1 cup bleach to 3-5 gallons of water.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Everybody likes clay pots. You just cannot really do anything about them once your flowers are potted in them, except you can hide them in another, glazed pot... But it would require too many "show" pots. I have 11 at this moment. And it is really hard to remove the unglazed ones from them once I want to change the flower or plant the bulb out. I simply like the plastic ones for inside, since they are easy to handle and my bulbs will not stay in them forever anyway.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Call me weird, but I like the look of unglazed clay... it reminds me of my Grandmother and her gardening. She always used clay pots, and had a garden to die for!

I have a few clay pots that I decorated to match my decor... I used those wet-n-stick decals from Hobby Lobby in a floral motif to decorate a couple... then on a few others, I used diluted craft paint and did a sponging technique... I also painted just the rim and the edge of the saucer to match in a dilute metallic paint. I used a sponge and wiped off some of the paint so it appears rather light.

I've seen them decorated with mosaic tiles or broken tile, glass or old plate pieces... all glued to the rim...

I didn't seal any of mine, so I think they still can breathe just like the raw pots... I'm a big fan of the shabby chic/cottage style, so if the paint is chipped or faded, that's fine by me!

My point is... there must be a million ways and/or color combinations and ideas that could be applied to raw clay without taking away from the very reason we use them; for healthy plants!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

I find the brown/red brown color of clay pots very complimenting to the green leaves of plants. For me, when plants are in clay pots, the focus would be on the beauty of the plants instead of the pot.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree, Maria... and with amaryllis, all the focus SHOULD be on the plant! How can it NOT be?! :-)

• soultan
    16 years ago

It should be, but when the clay pots have these disgusting dicoloration, I really just want to remove the plants from them... You cannot put a pot like that on the bar to showcase your flowers.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I just look past those imperfections, and see the wonder that is the Amaryllis! :-)

I've never been a perfectionist... there just wasn't room or time for it! I raised 3 kids, and as we are canine breeders, always had a house full of dogs and young pups, not to mention the kids and all their friends... my house was always a bit of a chaotic mess, no matter how hard I worked to keep it in order!

I always said that if you came to see me, welcome! If you came to see my house, make an appointment!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Hehe... I was a dog breeder in Hungary too. I was breeding German Shepards and brown and black Dobermanns. I miss having little puppies all around me. Though these were not allowed in the house. Right now, I have a wonderful Miniature Schnauzer, called Toto, whom we bought from Kansas. He lives in the house. But still. My house is a high quality showcase house. I have movie crews coming several times a month to shoot movies, scenes, commercials, etc. in here, so I cannot have an ugly clay with the beautiful flowers. It is all about looks. Camera likes the look. And some of my amarylli became stars. :o) Shooters were in love with Las Vegas, for instance. I can't fault them for it.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Heyyyyyyy...I used to breed dogs to in the Philippines. I bred Japanese Spitz dogs. Well that's what they are called there anyway. They look like the bigger version of pomeranians, pure white with black eyes and nose. I miss the puppies too. Isn't it amazing seeing newlyborn puppies specially when they get their first breath of air. I have a mother dog that gets confused when she is giving birth. I had to stay right there beside her and help out in taking out that slimy sack. Then I would start rubbing the seemingly lifeless puppy to 'waken' it and start breathing, slowly move, and it's color eventually turning pink. Aaahhhhh...it's alive! One time I had to bottle feed 8 puppies, a few weeks old, when the mother had to be hospitalized. They really thought I was their mommy!!! Oh this brings back very fond memmories. We now have a good old goofy country dog, a Golden Retreiver named Buddy. He refuses to get inside the house, loves running around the neighborhood when we let him loose, swim in the creek, bark/play with my neighbors horses and Angus cows, dig HUGE holes and chew on rocks!!!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow... that sounds really cool, soultan, to have such a nice home, and exciting to have it filmed, although it sounds a bit stressful, too! I don't know if I could deal with cameras and people all over the place! :-)

I grew up with German Shepherds as a kid... my husband has been breeding performance American Bulldogs for over 20 years... our kennel has been featured in several books, we're in a dog breed video... the only AB to achieve a French Ring Sport 3 title is from our kennel... we do not sell to the public anymore; the breed has spiraled downhill badly in the last 15 years... everybody wants to be a breeder, but no one wants to take full responsibility for what they genetically produce. No one culls, no one understands canine genetics... it's sad.

Maria, I just helped whelp a litter of Olde Bulldogges from my female, Emma, about 4 weeks ago... We attend all births, remove pups from the sacs, clean them, aspirate, check them for ten little toes on each foot, etc... then let mom take over! Each birth still amazes me... little miracles!

I couldn't imagine not having at least one dog running around with the family! That's why all my amaryllis' are high up on the windowsills!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I have a boy doggie now, so I cannot have little doggies around. I am not irresponsible either breeding dogs just for the sheer joy of having a lot of little ones around when there are 300.000 dogs are euthanized just in California yearly because of irresponsible breeding and ownership. It really saddens me. It seems cruel and stupid, but I don't donate to animal shelters in the area who ever euthanize a dog. When they send me mail, I even send the mail back to them with a sentence on it: I am not donating until you stop killing innocent animals. Fortunately, there are a lot of shelters now that proudly present that they are no-kill shelters. All these dogs could be kept alive for a measly 180 million dollars yearly... Do we need stupid fireworks and lavish public celebrations or keep these poor souls alive till they find loving homes? I really vote for the last one.
    So that is why I don't breed. I feel a little guilty buying Toto, but if I didn't buy him, I wouldnt HAVE him, so my life would be completely different. No regrets. Now I am just waiting. I will only get a girlfriend for him if she is a doggie needing to be adopted.
    Huh. We went way off topic.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is VERY sad, indeed, soultan... if breeders (and a lot of owners, for that matter)were responsible to begin with, there wouldn't be a need for rescue organizations and shelters.

The litter of pups we just had were all spoken for BEFORE the dog was bred. I have 6 pups, and all 6 have preplanned homes. We've had a waiting list of up to 5 years to get one of our pups. But we refuse to make just any old breeding just to sell pups.

It's not about the money; it's about making a better dog.

Off topic, yes, but this is the kind of conversation that shows the true colors of people. Plus... genetics are genetics, whether you're breeding flowers or animals. The bottom line is... you are breeding to make your chosen creature better, and it's all about being responsible in doing so.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Yes. There is another trend that really ticks me off and they are the "designer dogs."
    Designer dogs are mutts, whose parents are two pure breds.
    Isn't is sad that you can buy a maltese for 1.200 and you can buy a cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle mix) for 2.000?
    Where are we heading. I mean long live the brave and the clever, but I think this is quite stupid. Let's keep clean breeds instead of creating numerous kinds of mutts. Mutts are lovable, they can be the same great companion as pure breds, but if you want a mutt, you can go to an animal shelter and adopt one, instead of buyin one in the store, thus telling breeders to mutticize more and more breeds. This is stupid.
    Have you heard of all the stupid mutt-names, they made up? Cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle), Schoodle (schnauzer/poodle), Schnaltese (schnauzer/maltese). I can't remember more at this moment, but I bet there are more than ten of these...

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it is cruel and just plain selfish to mess around with the genetics of a living animal purely for profit, especially when most people have no idea what genetics even entails.

Every canine breed, with the exception of the wild wolf, is man made. A very, very long time ago dogs had their place as working animals, serving man in some capacity, whether it was an actual job or just as a beloved companion. Today, most breeds no longer do what they were created to do. For example, the Cocker Spaniel used to be a hunting breed. Now, it's just a snippy little ankle biter with a bad temperament. An even more horrible example of man's selfishness and irresponsibility is the English Bulldog; not all, but a goodly percentage of this breed cannot even reproduce without man's intervention, requiring AI and C-section.

A breed is only a breed because/if/when it can reproduce itself true to type every time. Designer breeds are no more than little bandogs, with the second generation not able to copy the genetics of the first.

The thing that bothers me the most about so-called, self-titled breeders is that they make no attempt to utilize the tools that are available to all... the genetic code has been understood since the late 1950's. Genetics are no secret. Anyone can study the information, and using a bit of science, history and math, and common sense, crunch the data to breed a better animal. We have the technology to look into the future, via computer programs, and see what a litter of pups will be like even BEFORE we make a breeding! We can actually calculate which ancestors the litter will draw their characteristics from, and what percentage. We have the ability to guide Mother Nature a bit, not control Her, but gently nudge Her in the direction we need.

Sadly, not many breeders bother to learn about genetics. Even more sad is the fact that most breeders do not cull. They call their garbage "pet quality" and sell it to the unsuspecting public. In the wrong hands, one bad genetic flaw can pyramid into thousands of unhealthy or unsound animals. Just look at the number of children bitten by their own pets, or the number of pets that die at young ages or are diagnosed with illnesses that are passed down genetically.

I could go on and on... it makes me sick just thinking of the millions of poor animals suffering because of man's stupidity, laziness and greed. And don't even get me started on what we feed our poor animals! We are literally poisoning our beloved pets, not to mention ourselves, with preservatives and chemicals that nature never intended us, or our pets, to ingest! Yep, you guessed it... I make my own dog food!

We are top of the food chain. We have opposing thumbs, for god's sake! So, why do we remain so ignorant? Why are we so selfish and greedy and irresponsible with the wonders that we have been entrusted with?

• soultan
    16 years ago

I hope you don't mean killing by culling. If a puppy is not the best quality (regarding the breed standards), he or she can be spayed or neutered and then given away as pet or sold as pet. I don't mind that. And I don't mind neutering or spaying all the shelter animals, but I am facing an uphill battle in California now because they have approved a law that would require EVERYBODY to spay and neuter their dogs and cats (if they are not breeders). I strongly believe that my house-dog is not a threat to society to do that to him. I want to keep him intact. I reject the logic that not neutering the dogs would have negative health effect on them. They were created that way, for God's sake! I face 500 dollars fine, but that is all I can do. I will not lay him under the knife just because of some stupid lawmakers, who don't have dogs or cats, and just hate the idea of having them around. Responsible ownership is not neutering and spaying, but taking care and protecting. Would you obey the law if it said you have to cut off the flowers of your amaryllis because it is not native plant of the area, so it is illegal to let it go to seed? I mean, it is ridiculous... By this logic, they could cut off all the palms in Los Angeles because they are not native here...

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I say "cull", yes, I mean send back to god, humanely kill. But I do NOT mean cull because of coat color or other insignificant thing. I mean cull because of genetic or physical health defects, poor temperament and other things that hurt the dog, or could potentially allow the dog to hurt the owner! I don't breed show dogs; I breed working dogs. No breeder enjoys culling. It is something that must be done as a responsible and knowledgeable breeder.

I do not believe in spay/neuter... I believe in being a responsible pet owner while the female is in heat, and separating her from unwanted breedings. In 25 year of breeding, we have NEVER had an accidental pregnancy! As a human, I could be "spayed", which equals a hysterectomy, and I have the option of taking synthetic hormones to balance my system. A dog does not have that option. It is our experience that spay/neuter lessens the life span of an animal and has adverse effects on its system because a vital part of that system has been removed. An animal that is spayed or neutered is like a machine that has an engine part removed; it may run, but never properly or to its potential, because it was meant to have ALL its parts intact.

The problem with animal control personnel and government officials is lack of training, and fear of the larger breeds. Most cannot differentiate one breed of dog from another, and have no idea what each breed should be like. I'm sorry, but a Pit Bull looks nothing like a Boxer or a Bulldog. But the collective thinking is that if it walks like a duck, it has to be a duck. And by the way, any decent Pit Bull is extremely man-friendly, even though they may be dog aggressive. Genetically well-bred, temperamentally stable dogs do not bite without a damn good reason. A good dog is discretionary in its actions.

The bottom line is that if breeders were more educated and responsible, and pet owners were more informed, responsible and researched a breed before purchasing one, and once purchased added a little obedience training, we wouldn't have the problems we have!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I only agree with humanely killing an animal if it is incurably sick or dangerous to humans.
    My first dobermann was a female that her mother injured during birth, and she held her head slightly tilted all her life. She was the best companion and the most understanding protective dog. She has never touched anyone I was friendly with, but nobody could come close to me if she felt my anger or fear... She did not bite, but she showed that I had a body guard by body gesture and sounds. She also was a show-dog in a sense that when we went to dog shows or any kind of celebrations people gathered and wanted to see police dogs in action, she was the star. When she grabbed the hand, she did not let it go, and the help could dance around with her still attached to the dummy hand and flying in the air... Yet, when the show was over, little kids were all over the dog and she did not even lick them, not to be aggressive with them. So I believe that a dog's aggression is the responsibility of the owner almost 99 percent of the time.
    I hate people who buy dogs because they look frightening enough for others. A dog is not a jewelry to wear, then discard or put away when he is not needed. You need to care about an animal, just like you care for a child. A dog needs to be stimulated, needs to know the order, needs to know the rules, and needs to know who is a dog and who is a human being... It is a wrong reason to buy a dog, because it makes you look more masculine... Really, the whole effect is totally the opposite... You are saying you are man enough and you are hiding behind an untrained, dangerous dog? Uh. I can go about it for ages... There are so many irresponsible dog owners and breeders...
    You see, flowers, at least, don't cause bodily harm. Though it is not true... If you eat the bulb, you can die... But you have to be really dumb to eat amaryllis bulbs. (I had a friend, whose husband ate all the tulip bulbs from the fridge... She was preparing them for forcing, and they have just disappeared. Fortunately, (or unfortunately), tulip bulbs are not poisonous. He said that the "onions" tasted quite funny that morning. :o))

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I completely agree... when looking to purchase a dog you must ask yourself what you expect out of the animal, what will its purpose be? Will it be a protector, a working dog, a sport dog, a hunting dog, etc? Can you afford to meet the needs of the breed you're looking at? Do you have the time and space the breed requires? Does the breed fit your family lifestyle? Are you really willing to dedicate yourself to this animal for the length of its natural life?

Research, research, and when you think you know enough about the breed and the kennels producing the breed, research more! Dig deep, ask questions, talk to as many breeders and owners as you can, read as much information as you can find. Take everything you have learned and sift through it with a huge grain of salt and a ton of common sense. Pet stores and newspaper ads are not good sources; well-established breeders with good reputations are. Price, location and the dog's coat color are not priority considerations when looking for the right dog. You get exactly what you pay for, within reason, of course.

Once you have found and purchased your pup, you need to teach it to be a well-mannered, respected member of your family. Dogs are very much like children; they are all individuals and all grow and learn at a different pace. A dog is only as smart and as well-behaved as its owner makes it. Training with your dog, even basic obedience, helps forge the bond of love and trust and respect between you. When I give my dog a command, she immediately obeys, which could very well save her life, or mine, someday.

Pet ownership is a large responsibility, but it's also a huge source of joy and love... and it's such a shame that only a small percentage of people understand this and truly give what it takes.

I've only just scratched the surface with all I've said... there's so much more to know. Knowledge is the key to success in anything... even in being a good pet owner.

And if you're not sure about the "onions" in your fridge, it's a good idea to ask before eating! :-)

• soultan
    16 years ago

Damn. I wrote a lot of very nice things and I just lost it all. I don't have the inclination to do it again. But I will try.

So about the onions. I have a separate refridgerator just for my bulbs. Nobody is allowed to touch it or put any food items in it. I am labeled possessive and territorial for it, but I'd rather take these names than accidentally poison someone. Can you imagine if someone cooked a bulb, then ate it? I have never experienced a situation like that but reading about the bulbs being poisonous, I can imagine that even if they don't kill someone, they could cause damage or at least nasty sickness (to the stomache if not else). But it is easy for me. I am kind of a free spirit and a tyrant. My environment learned, that it is easier to let me do whatever I want, then try to convince me. I am convinceable... And when someone makes me see I am wrong, I admit, but it really takes a lot of work. :o) So when we built this new house, we went to the Contractors' Warehouse a lot and I saw a "defective" refridgerator there. The only problem with it was that it had a slight dent on the front door. Not even noticeable. But they could not sell it anymore full price, so I just bought it for abut 200 bux. Now my bulbs sleep in it safe and soundly. Not like in the wine cooler that froze some of them down not even in a month. For future reference, I will try not to keep my bulbs in the fridge so long, but because of the move, I kind of deleted some months from the blooming season for me, so they had to wait. I believe the sooner they can be put to sleep then woken up the better quality the flowers become.

About the dogs... I really don't remember what I wrote. I remember I was bragging about my dog, Toto. That people who see him are really surprised how clever and well behaved he is. I believe it is because most of te owners do not teach their dogs anything. I can count the dogs on one of my hands that know the sit command. It is amazing. You mentioned that obeying can save the life of the dog or even the owner. It is completely true. My dog cannot be poisoned, unless the person who poisons him knows exactly how to make him eat the poisoned food. He will not touch any food put out for him without permission. Some visitors thought he was sick not wanting to eat when I put the food out for him. They said that a healthy dog should jump on the food and gulp it up. They have never seen a dog like Toto. He goes there, smells it, then sits down and waits. That is the way he has to ask for the food. Then I give him the command and he eats. It is very important for police dogs for instance. There are a lot of people with dark motives who would readily get rid of a good nose that can indrimidate them. I am not training Toto to be a police dog, but being a police-dog traner had its advantages in my life.
    There are several pet deaths because of car accidents. Most of the time the dog just runs out of the open door. Toto does not. He sits down (asking for it) and only goes out when he gets the command to go. You never know what pulls up in front of your house unexpectedly, and believe me, dogs can slide out in the smallest little gaps. So I protect him by not letting him run out of any doors without permission. Whenever there is a closed door and I open it, he sits down and only follows if I tell him so. It is extremely helpful when people shoot in the house and I have to leave from the bedroom through the office. Can you imagine what a huge problem a rampaging little puppy could make amongst expensive lighting and camera equipments? I could continue on bragging. But it is just bragging, since I forgot what was the reason I mentioned it earlier... But the point is, you train your dog for him too. A dog who follows the order, understands the command is a really happy dog... You can see how proud he is that he can do what he is expected to. I tend to see that even though they have their own little agenda and own little life, they die to make us, people happy.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As I read your post, I was thinking about the exact thing that you finished with: dogs live to make us happy. To make them happy, all it takes is a little praise when they obey or learn a command and execute it properly.

I am by no means a trainer. I am a breeder. However, basic and intensive obedience training are fairly easy to put into a dog. Consistency and repetition will always win the day, and lavish praise for a job well done. I usually begin intensive obedience training when my pups are about 5 or 6 months old. Until then, I teach the basics and allow them to be "kids".

In the past, I have worked closely with a very good trainer, who also trains police dogs and specializes in dogs with behavior problems. I am always the handler with my dogs. My last personal dog, an American Bulldog female named Minerva, was taken through intensive obedience, then protection training. I handled. She was exceptional! We had a very close bond, and I have no doubt in my mind that she would have died to protect me or my children. On any given day, she was just your average couch potato, loved to play with the kids... but when called into action, she was devastating! She was extremely agile and quick for an 85lb. female, and would pull an attacker out a car window, bite while the "bad guy" was on fire, or go into water to attack! We worked her in many different scenarios with lots of distractions, even with gunfire. You never know where you'll be or what will be happening when and if you're attacked for real. Just letting a dog bite a sleeve is not good enough for real life situations. I was always very proud of her. I lost her to old age and cancer last year. I still miss her terribly.

Toto sounds like a wonderful dog, and it sounds to me like you know your stuff when it comes to having a well-trained dog. Just like children, pets need and want structure and discipline in their lives. It makes for a happier pet and a happier owner.

You were lucky to get your fridge for a good price, and who cares if it has a dent or scratch? It's for bulbs, not for kitchen display! Your bulbs are lucky to have their own resting place!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I have written about Dobi, the female dobermann with the tilted head... She was my companion like your Minerva. She also gave me a few litter of noisy, lively little fellas. I also lost her due to cancer... She was my first dog that I had to take care of and owned. I got her because she was a "culling material," and the breeder (my uncle) said in one of his light-headed moments that if I like her so much, I SHOULD take her... He did not mean that I take the dog. He meant to buy her... My father, my brother, and I were already at home when my father discovered that I just hold onto the puppy and took home with me, because uncle said I "should have it." It was funny, but I guess, they had no heart to take her away from me anymore, so all of the sudden we got a new family member. I tend to become attached to things, persons, animals like that...
    I have a mild OCD, that makes me a really good candidate for that. I don't know if you know the story of The Little Prince by Antoine-Saint Exupery. It says: You are responsible for what you have tamed. And I take it quite seriously.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How eloquently put... I am as serious about my beliefs as you are of yours... I am responsible for what I have tamed.

The day I saw pain in Minerva's eyes, the day she had to have help to make the stairs to go outside, I knew it was time to put away my own wants and needs and give her the peace she so richly deserved. With my husband's help, I gave her a sedative shot, wrapped her in a quilt my Mother made, and put her to eternal sleep. I cried forever, but I know I did the right thing. I dug her grave myself, under a shade tree in a little grotto. I placed her wrapped form in it, and said my goodbyes. I let her go because I loved her that much. She spent her life caring for me and making me happy. The very least I could do for her was to forget my feelings and think of hers. I could not be selfish and allow her to suffer.

I wish I could have gotten a nice pup out of her, but she could not reproduce herself. There was one ancestor seven generations removed on her mother's side that made it impossible to get anything genetically worthwhile from her, no matter who the sire might be. That's alright, though... she more than made up for it by being such a wonderful companion and protector.

Funny thing is... shortly after she died, my Minerva amaryllis bloomed, better than it ever has, and in November, no less. Completely out of season, as it usually blooms in February.

Even more strange is that the girl I have as companion now, an Olde Bulldogge named Emma, suddenly began exhibiting many of the characteristics Minerva possessed. And she was never like Minerva before. It's almost as if she knows she has some mighty large "paws" to fill. I didn't think I'd want another dog so soon, but Emma has filled the gap left behind by Minerva quite well. She was a kennel dog most of her life, but she has adapted very well to her place with me. Now, I don't know what I'd do without her.

Like you, I tend to bond rather tightly, and quickly, to my personal dog. Just like Toto and my Minerva, Dobi sounds like another winner when it comes to great pets. Great pets are made with work and love, not just born. If more people could see beyond the first two inches past their noses, the pet world would be much better off.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Indeed. Toto is sleeping next to me as I type this message. He gets literarily sick if he does not see me. I was joking about wanting a little doggie that would run around with me and stick to me like flies to the paper, but it came true... I don't ever feel lonely anymore. He does not let me. Of course, it does not replace human relationships, but there is less possibility to get disappointed by a companion dog, than a human companion.
    People say I am too negative. I simply say: I am not negative. I am realistic and prepared. If I am ready for the worse, I can only be surprised positively.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have a saying in our family... Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed!

Just like Toto, Emma is sitting next to me right now. :-)

Even though human contact is vital, I'd much rather deal with my animals than with most humans I've met. Don't get me wrong... I love my family, and I have a select few very good friends... and I enjoy having intelligent, interesting conversations with others, such as this one with you... but for the most part, I'd rather avoid crowds and live out in the country away from hoards of neighbors. The world is way too full of ignorant, selfish, shallow, greedy, clueless people!

My dogs accept me as I am, flaws and all... they love me and trust me unconditionally. They don't care what I do for a living or how I dress and look, or how much money or material possessions I have or can give them... they just care that I'm safe and will always try their hardest to make me feel good inside... they just want me to smile at them and give them whatever attention I can. They give so much and ask for so little in return. How many people do you know that are like that without having another agenda? Not many, I'd guess.

It's true... the more I know people, the more I like my dog!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Agree...
    I can imagine the panel members now rolling their eyeballs trying to figure out how do dogs come to amaryllis... I ask their forgiveness now... We have kind of hijacked this topic and started to talk about very interesting things. I know, I was the one who ignited the conversation, but if others will not send me to hell for it, I don't mind.
    I am so frustrated with work nowadays, that I have to take several breaks from it during the day, and I am telling you, coming here on the forum kind of calms me down. I don't know why. I flee here to try to erase everything I am working on from my head. I am here too much... This is not the solution...
    You see, this is the problem with amarylli. They don't need much care. I cannot be there around them all the time I want to get away. I just check them out, look at them, but they don't need care now... They are happy as they are.
    So back to work and hell.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, soultan, it was my fault that the conversation went from bulbs and clay pots to dogs and breeding and so on... my apologies to those who read this expecting to gain insight into the cultivation of amaryllis, only to find that the discussion took a left turn into the world of pets!

I tend to get long-winded when it comes to subjects that I feel strongly about. What can I say? I'm a blond Aquarian! Canine husbandry is one of the subjects I am passionate about. Gardening and plant cultivation is another subject that really holds my attention, which is how I came to be here in the first place!

I AM glad we had this conversation, though... it's nice to gain a little insight into the people we speak with online, to find out that there are others who have the same interests and aren't afraid to say exactly how a subject affects them.

Working in the kennel and in my perennial gardens is what calms my spirit. I posted somewhere else, I believe, that I consider the gardens and the outdoors my "church". I have the luxury of gardening pretty much any time, and I love my job, which is caring for the kennel.

I have learned one very nice thing here, though... Amaryllis People are very interesting and passionate individuals, and so far, the nicest of the gardening bunch! :-)

Take a good look at your beautiful amaryllis', soultan... take a deep breath, smile, and remember that Toto and your flowers are waiting for you to finish up your work so you can turn your attention to them!

And now... I must step away from the keyboard... the kennel awaits!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I wish I could just finish up my work... The job is never done. By the time I say I am done with one project, others submit several more to me. It seems like the more I finish, the more I get... Poor Toto would like to go out, play with the balls, take a walk... He just sleeps next to me almost whole day. Poor soul. At leas, he is not criticizing me for it.

Amaryllis do not need much attention. I literarily just go out and check them, just to look at them. I fix some name tags, count them again, try to find what have changed a day, a few hours, minutes since I saw them. They are pretty happy without me...
    Though it is not true for my Exotica. for some reason (probably the long cold treatment) it is bringing up really small flowers for me. Like a Carina or Scarlet Baby. The only hope I have for it is next season. After it finishes the three stalks, it will go out to the flower bed. It might recover from this bad treatment.
    I am excitedly waiting for Honeymoon to bloom though. It is interesting, that some of the bulbs took the long rest negatively and some of them just don't care... Honeymoon is the don't care type, even though it is South African, and they say that those varieties need to be planted as soon as possible and not to let them sleep past January... It was sleeping for me till now, AUGUST... And it is bringing up perfect scapes... Who can tell? I am glad that some of them just WANT to perform. I still have like 50 more to plant, so by the time I get new bulbs, these still will be in bloom.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I don't have the time for so many bulbs! I don't think I could care for that many successfully. Especially since I'm in zone 5 and if they were planted outside, I'd have to dig them all up every fall!

I only have a few amaryllis right now, but I'd like to collect a few more. I'm going to have to be careful that I don't go overboard and wind up with more than I can handle! They're all so beautiful that I can't make up my mind which ones to get next!

Honeymoon is one I'm not familiar with. I don't believe I've ever seen a photo of it. What color are we talking about? White?

• soultan
    16 years ago

I will dig them up late fall myself. It will take away a few hours of my life. It is fine.

For Honeymoon, go to Hadeco's web site. There is a picture of it. It should bloom for me in the coming days, right next to Clown.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The description on their site says Honeymoon is a rose red color... very pretty! The photo looks nice, with large blooms, too.

Until I consider myself more knowledgeable I only want to have a small collection, adding slowly as I learn more and consider myself more knowledgeable. I know sometimes we have no control over things that happen, but I'd like to minimize any bad experiences by learning before I jump in too deep and acquire too many at once.

• soultan
    16 years ago

It is going to bloom soon with Clown. Though I think Clown will open first, even today.
    I am driving Mr. Barnhoorm crazy. I wrote to two European resellers if they send bulbs to the US, and they have forwarded my e-mail to him. :o) He thinks I am really desperate to get some of their varieties not available in the US. :o) I am not that desperate, but would like to get them nonetheless.

I was not as wise as you are. In the first year, I had about 10-15 bulbs, and then the following year, I just simply bought 10 bulbs from Internet vendors every month, and bought up everyting locally. When I start something, I get mild OCD. Fortunately, I only do it with amaryllis bulbs and Musical CDs... Sooner or later, they can only come up with limited number of new stuff, so my expenses will be down.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well... I don't have OCD, but I DO have Lupus. So, I want to only have as many plants as I think I can comfortably take care of. There are some mornings that I feel so sick and hurt so bad that I can hardly get out of bed. But I have a lot of good days, too. When I wake up and feel "not that bad", I do as much as I can that day, knowing that the next day I may wake up feeling very sick.

I've had more and more good days since I started taking echinacea capsules and other vitamins. I also replaced all the foods that I used to eat with a meal replacement shake mix from Optimum Nutrition. I still eat fruits and vegetables, yogurt and a few other natural foods.

I have detoxified my body. I am no longer full of preservatives and chemicals. You'd be shocked at the difference that makes! If I eat a fast food hamburger now, I get really sick and I get an instant headache and stomach ache. One of the benefits of eating properly is that I have lost my extra weight! I feel better, and I feel better about how I look, too!

So, that's why I want to start out slow collecting amaryllis bulbs. I don't want to overdo it and then not be able to care for them. They're much too beautiful to receive poor care because I get too sick. Plus, there's a lot to know about them!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I hate to be sick, so I understand you... OCD is just a status. Being obsessive about something. I'd rather be obsessive about amaryllis though than hurting someone or something, or start a political agenda to exclude someone from certain rights or something. You know... What most of the politicians do.

Sponsored
More Discussions