SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zahzeen

Over Winter vs. Winter Sowing

zahzeen
14 years ago

I was recently informed there is a difference between "over winter" and "winter sowing" when I was using the terms interchangably and confusing everyone (I'm new). If I overwinter some seeds (Potentilla, Aquilegia chocolate soldier, Viola sweeties) can I leave them in the garage or basement if I don't have a cold frame? Can peat pots be used for either over winter or winter sowing (someone told me I couldn't) as longer as they have holes in the bottom and are covered but ventilated with plastic wrap? I would put the peat pots in some kind of holder (like the plastic trays you get at a plant store) to keep them upright during the winter. Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm trying to get a head start on next year by starting some perennials inside now and planting out before Thanksgiving and planning what I should seed in Sept./Oct. and over wintering and planning what I should be winter sowing. The lists I've gotten off this forum for which perennials and annuals can be winter sown has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Comments (14)

Sponsored