SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rythen_

Starting new collection - indoors or outdoors?

Rythen.
9 years ago

This starts out with a sad story. Last year was my first year growing hippies. I had a collection of 8 bulbs in Illinois where I lived, and sent 6 of them south to Florida when I moved down there. Turns out I need to move back north now, but I don't have any hippies to send back. Four of them caught the dreaded mozaic virus and had to be destroyed, and I'm afraid the other two might have contracted it as they were all growing in pots near one another for months. I didn't lose anything irreplaceable, but it was still sad to have to get rid of such healthy bulbs. They really took to the sun and heat well, and one started growing an offset!

Anyway, I decided to just start over with new bulbs this fall. It's not really much of a concern right now, but next summer when the bulbs need to recharge I'm wondering if it's best to put them outside (in pots), or if a west-facing window would be sufficient indoors. I've heard that east and south windows will work, but nothing about west. I don't know if there are reservoirs of this virus in zone 5 or not, but I really don't want to lose my bulbs again by putting them out where grasshoppers and other bugs will potentially chew on them. Has anyone used any kind of insect repellent on their hippies with success? Or grown them outside in colder climes?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions