SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montego_gw

Should I get rid of my new hive??

montego
13 years ago

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to bees, and I just got through hiving my first colony yesterday. I wore gloves, veil, and long pants, but unfortunately short sleeve shirt. Everything was fine until most of the bees were in the hive, then they discovered my exposed arm and starting going crazy on it. I was going to just finish hiving until they starting going up into my shirt and stinging along the way. I walked away (finished hiving later with a long sleeve shirt) and nothing immediate happened. I got stung probably 15 times though and (dumb mistake #2) pulled the stingers out with tweezers (pumping every last drop of venom into me). So I probably got the venom load of many more than 15 stings.

About 6 hours later I started having bad stomach muscle cramps and we are now about 18 hours out and I am now having fever, fatigue, general muscle aches, and mild sore joint around my elbows. Although on the internet it says these are major allergy symptoms I have had absolutely NO itching, sign of infection, nausea, headache, hives, swelling, or trouble breathing/chest tightness. Benadryl and tylenol are helping a lot.

My wife wants me to immediately ditch the hive but I think this response is really a result of the high venom load more than anything. This was the result of my own inexperience and dumb mistakes, not the bees fault. I want to keep the hive and just say lesson learned... what do you think??

Comments (7)

Sponsored