SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

I'm confused--overwintering: dig out? leave in ground?

cfb123
18 years ago

Hi all:

I have searched on this forum for overwintering tips for Musa Basjoo. After reading numerous posts, it seems there is not necessarily one "best way" for overwintering this plant IF you want it to grow bigger year after year. What I want is to get an even taller plant next year from what I have right now, which is about an 8ft tall pseudostem (12ft to top of leaves and 24inch diameter at ground level).

I don't know if this is right, but I kept cutting off pups as I don't want a clump of naners...I want one BIG one to be a focal point in my garden. Plus I figured by removing pups all the growing energy would go to the "mother" plant. (??)

I'm in zone 6b-7a. OK, to try and allow the plant to get bigger next year do I:

1) Dig up, leaving every inch of pseudostem w/leaves attached; overwinter in my garage; come spring, cut off dead leaves ONLY, leaving all of stem and plant?

2) Leave in ground, cut stem down to 18in; wrap stem with bubble wrap, or blankets (or what?); put mulch around base of plant; come spring, unwrap and just let it do it's thing?

3) Leave in ground; cut off entire pseudostem, leaving only an inch or two above the corm; mulch heavily; come spring uncover and let it grow?

4) OR....?

I would rather not dig up unless that is the BEST way to get the plant to grow even taller next year.

Thanks for the help. Claudia

Comments (12)

Sponsored