SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcbunnell

Invasive Buddah's Belly Bamboo

gcbunnell
14 years ago

8 years ago 8 buddah's belly bamboo clumps were planted along the roadside of my front yard. Everything I read about this clumper said it had noninvasive roots and culms. The clumps have behaved pretty well until the last two years or so when some of the new bamboo started running further and further from the main clump (3 feet away was the latest). It has become impossible to grow anything within the vicinity of the clumps because the roots have spread to more than 10 feet. Anytime something is planted, not only are roots encountered, but, after clearing them away, many times the plant dies outright from the invasion of bamboo roots or the plant struggles along and is severly stunted. I have now begun the arduous task of trenching (18 inches down so far and still encountering roots) along a line of separation which I have to do by hand as so many other plants are in the way. Several palms and philodendrons are surviving because they were planted far enough away originally. What else could I do and what is the explanation?

Comments (7)

Sponsored