SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annpat_gw

Now I'm worried...

annpat
13 years ago

My first installation of a package of bees went poorly. First of all, I dropped the cage into the box. Getting it out caused great mayhem. Then I was stunned to find the Queen in a cage with what were attendant bees, but which I thought were bees that found their way in with her and meant to do her harm. The cork on one end was place in the opening sideways, so I thought they got in that way.

Meanwhile bees were leaving the box in droves, I'd lost control of the situation, and I tried to pierce a red plug on the other end of the cage. Instead of penetrating the red thing, the nail pushed it further into the cage. I left the red "plug" alone at that point, thinking that it was candy. This happened on Friday. Fifteen minutes ago, while lying in bed, it occurred to me that maybe that red thing was not candy, but a plug that should have been removed.

It's a top bar hive. I was told to leave the bees alone for at least five days. Now I'm worried that my Queen is trapped. Shall I disturb them tomorrow to check her out?

And if I do disturb them, should I use smoke? They've had a rough three days in the raw spring weather we've had.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored