SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Planning a Backyard

xica_da_silva
11 years ago

Now seems like a good time for me to start developing my backyard- while I'm waiting for the weather to cool down! The good thing is, it's more or less a blank slate- except for the decorative rocks and the small (6ft x 7.5ft) experimental garden. The dimensions are 54ft wide and 36ft length, not as small as many historic home backyards. I think it could handle a larger shade tree, or maybe several smaller ones?

The garden is surrounded by some left-over pavers, so those can easily be moved. Everything in the garden can also be scrapped if needed, except for a very lovely baby crepe myrtle which seems to have passed its first year with flying colors- literally! Love it and am tempted to buy more!

I must say that I sort of rue the day that I bought the rocks, because the Bermuda grass weeds are so hard to dig out. And I think that with the rocks being in the back, which is a South exposure, it just makes the environment much hotter all around. Boooo!

Nevertheless, I think I can work with it, and just move the rocks out of the way where needed. What I'd really love to have is either a big centrally placed shade tree that will discourage Bermuda growth, and allow me to get some filtered shade to grow more plants, or have several smaller size trees with more variety.

Regardless of how small, I'd also love to have a garden path- kind of like a botanical garden- in which you can walk through different areas and see different kinds of plants! I want it to be thoughtful, artistic, pretty. I know this may take years to develop but I am patient. I just want advice on where is a good place to start?

Did any of you attempt to draw on paper before planting things? Is it better to place a shade tree(s) on the western-ish side(assuming it's a tree that can handle it) of the backyard to give the coveted afternoon shade to the rest of the garden? Is it better to have one big trade tree in the center of the yard or several small ones- does it matter?!

Anyhow, any advice on how to get started with the pre-planting design stage would be greatly appreciated! Your thoughts?

Btw, this photo was taken from the West looking eastward- the backyard is South-side of the house.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting