SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

You folks are my new favorite forum!

lgslgs
15 years ago

OK - My eyes are bleary from reading archive pages and you've all convinced my that I really need to winter sow this year. Thought I'd introduce myself and say howdy.

I live in rural southeast Ohio. We have 15 acres, 8 goats, a cow, two dogs, several big vegetable gardens, 220 five gallon buckets (so far) of vegetable plants growing, and finally this year I've got three big and two small flower garden beds going.

We grow most of our food and the vegetable growing has been our biggest garden priority since we moved to the area in 2002. We've got horrible soil, but a big beautiful compost heap and just this year found a big supply of free five gallon buckets so we finally have a way to get better production and moisture control on our food crops.

That left me with some poor soil, flood/bake/flood/bake again garden beds that I could use for flowers this year.

Between indoor seed starting and outdoor spring sowing (into 3 inch pots) I got myself about 600+ flower plants this year. My priority was heavy flowering reseeding annuals and establishing some flowering perennials that would be beneficial for companion planting with the veggies. The whole goal of this year's flower growing was to get some perennials established, and get some nice stands of annuals set up so I can seed save large amounts of seed.

All of the plants I am most interested in growing seem to be the ones that the winter sowers have great success with! So after reading and reading old post you've convinced me that this is how I need to start my seedlings next year.

In addition to winter sowing, I'm very interested in growing fairly hardy, self seeding, annual and perennials that aren't poisonous to livestock animals. I'd like to be able to collect pounds of seed from my flower garden each year to seed out on the land in late winter/early spring when we have a chance of having enough ground moisture to get plants started there. Sure, the goats and cow will eat most of them - but if I throw enough seed out there I should end up with a bloom or two left long enough for me to enjoy it. :)

I am so excited about winter sowing and about this forum. It's nice to see people in Ohio having such great success with the method. Since we moved here we've been told repeatedly that the weather "isn't usually like this" and it's always either flooding, baking, drought, or the worst whatever sort of weather in 40 years. And Ohio winter sowers are growing stuff in abundance. Wow.

You've all actually given me hope that I might be able to get echinacea started after all. I just stocked up on my flower seeds for next year during the Thompson and Morgan 1/2 price sale a few weeks ago and didn't buy echinacea because of having so many years of no luck with it. I might have to think about one more little seed order before the sowing season starts and winter sow it.

I am really looking forward to having winter sown seedlings coming out my ears next year!

Lynda

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus