SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nonyaz

New bamboo owner, any tips?

nonyaz
15 years ago

I planted my first bamboo in early spring of this year, and so far I think I'm doing pretty good. It is Phyllostachys atrovaginata and I live in upstate New York (Zone 5). I have a large section of yard I want it to take over and go crazy, but I have think that as soon as it leaves the nice soft dirt in the hole I dug it, and hits the clay in the yard, it wont want to spread. But thats not my main concern.

{{gwi:422717}}
When I bought the bamboo I had it pictured in my head that it was "tree" like (like in the picture above), you know big and tall, with a thick canes. What I have now is sort of a small bush, kinda looks like a spider plant without the variegation. I have since read about the 3 phases it does, root, spread, and shoot, but I was hoping for a little more vertical even in its first year...

Going forward, what methods, or things should I do to turn it from a bush, into thick canes? Will I need to trim some of the bush away and leave the biggest cane (which is about the size of a juice box straw), if so, to what degree?

I'm basically just fishing for tips from experience growers to tell me whats going to happen in the future, and what I should be doing about it to achieve the desired results. Also I took some pictures you can see by following the link below, can you tell me what the black spots or holes I have on some of the leaves are? Its only on a few, I'm not sure if its a bug, or what, I thought bamboo was immune to anything we have up here? Or is that just what happens when the leaves fall off?

And finally can you give me cause and effect type of advice, like what to look for when I gets too much water, what it means when it turns yellow, stuff like that, I have no gardening experience so any wisdom will help me out.

Here are some pictures: http://flickr.com/photos/25849384@N06/sets/72157607556685221/

Comments (9)

Sponsored