SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_23299372

Working with an architect for building new house..Any tips?

User
8 years ago

This is our first time ever working with an architect and are not quite sure what to expect. Basic info: this is for a new house building project and our architect is charging us a flat fee. Questions:

1. How much interaction do you have with the architect during the preliminary design stage? Is it over the phone, in person, or email?

2. If he highly recommends something and almost insists on it, but you are not 100% sure, do you trust the architect's expertise or do you veto the idea? For example, ours recommended 7 ft wide second floor hallway (3600 sq ft house). I thought that was an overkill but he said if hallway were any narrower it would be too cramped and therefore he doesn't recommend it.

3. If you want to veto his idea, how do you do it without offending him or questioning his expertise? I mean, they DO know better than us so I feel Squamish about questioning their advice.

4. In terms of aesthetics, namely exterior, how do you incorporate what looks good to you with what the architect recommends? If you really like X but he says that doesn't go with the rest of the house and recommends Y, what do you do? How much trust do you place on him?

Comments (10)