SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

Need help picking and finding bamboo

thisisme
11 years ago

I'm a vegetable gardener who loves to build trellises. In fact I'm a retired carpenter who likes to build all kinds of things. Buying wood and screws all the time is getting expensive. I sure would love to be able to grow my own materials.

I have done some reading and have a general idea of what I want and what I need to do. I even think I know what I want but don't want to screw up.

Here's the situation and the desired use....

I'm limited to growing in full Arizona sun. Which means temps between 100-114 degrees in the shade every day 4-5 months a year.

I'm willing to build a raised bed or some kind of barrier if needed to keep the bamboo from spreading.

I'm looking for bamboo that is thick walled and useful for constructing heavy trellises for tomatoes and beans. Perhaps even some melons and squash. I would also like to build some shade structures with bamboo.

From what study I've done I think PUNTING POLE BAMBOO fits the bill. So my questions are;

Is Punting Pole a good variety for this purpose in my climate or should I look elsewhere. If you where in my situation what would you do and where would buy the plants from?

If you click on the link below and look through the pages you will get an idea what I have done with wood. I want to go much bigger with bamboo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some examples of what I have done with wood

Comments (10)

Sponsored