SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

A tour of my north side garden and Purple Patch

15 years ago

Here I am, with more photos to slow down your computer! :)

I made a new bed last summer, using bags of yard waste I snatched around the neighborhood, and coffee grounds. I needed a fenced place to move my hostas to, since the deer love to eat them. It's the north side of my house, and gets some noon sun. Near the picket fence it gets evening sun too. From my roof, it looked like this:

{{gwi:416480}}

I planted a couple of hostas in here last fall, the rest of the plants (except for the far end) this year:

{{gwi:416481}}
{{gwi:416482}}

Here is the section closest to the picket fence, with 2 Gold Standard hostas, bought last year for $5 in a package at menard's. Near the fence is some bulb foliage and hydrangeas I don't think you can see, because they are not doing well. Near them, in the back, is a Goatsbeard and an orange daylily. I have a couple of 2007 WS purple columbines growing in with the big green hostas. Towards the left is a Celandine Poppy (non-native) that's been blooming for about 2 months. I wonder if the Gold Standard hostas are getting too much sun. Any opinions?

{{gwi:416483}}
{{gwi:416484}}

Here is the center of the hosta section. On the right is Ribbon Grass, which will spread almost as fast as kudzu, even in my sandiest soil. It's planted in a pot. You can barely see the Alchemilla Mollis next to it. Just in front of the stepping-block is Blue Sedge and Dwarf Goatsbeard, from Lindalana. I haven't planted them yet! At center is Bloodroot, the purple plant to its left is Lysimachea Firecracker. In back is the Celandine Poppy. The bottom left hosta is "Fragrant Bouquet," bought for about $5 at a grocery store. (I like that I can get pretty hostas for low prices!).

{{gwi:416485}}
{{gwi:416486}}

And here is the far end of the hosta section, where I just planted all the stuff in back. In the back row on the left is red trillium, then Jack in the pulpit, then another Lysimachea Firecracker (not very visible). In front of those is a bluish hosta, Lamium Hermann's Pride, and a couple of hostas I wintersowed last year. In front of the stepping stones is a tangle of WSown columbines and WSown hostas, and one larger NOID hosta. Oh, and bulb foliage.

{{gwi:416487}}
{{gwi:416488}}

A closeup of some of the hostas I wsowed last year. All are from a Reptilian parent, I don't know if it's the same mom.:

{{gwi:416489}}
{{gwi:416490}}

Here is Lindalana Land (I got most of the plants at her swap, and they're planted on top of each other in her style--last year I didn't have the bed prepared, so I just crammed them in!). The spotted plants are Pulmonaria. The back right is a very tall Thalictrum, with wonderfully perfumed yellow fuzzy flowers. You can barely see it in the overall garden shot.

{{gwi:416491}}
{{gwi:416492}}

Here it is earlier this year, the pink-blooming plants are Primulas:

{{gwi:416493}}
{{gwi:416494}}

And, one last spot in the garden, the Purple Bed. In the back of this are orange dayliles, so sometimes this is purple and orange. But you see it in its yellow and purple stage. The plants in here are Chocolate Joe Pye, a purple primula, Tovara/Painter's Palette, Columbine Black Barlow and Irish Eyes and Dragonfly (even though the deer eat them). There is more ribbon grass in a pot, and a dark purple Ajuga that blooms blue-violet. I have some ferns in there as well as a native wild ginger that grows on the edge of my yard. In the front is a small Sedum (Autumn Joy or similar) and a geranium. The columbines are from wintersowing, but almost everything else is from plant swaps and my mom.

{{gwi:416495}}
{{gwi:416496}}

I hope I'm not giving too much info. Let me know if I am! I hope you enjoyed the "tour."

Comments (5)

Sponsored