SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Summer Sea Holly

bakemom_gw
16 years ago

I have just sown my first 2 liter of my freshly harvested sea holly. They are up and germinating quite well. In fact, sown this way they are nearly foolproof. This year they were breathtaking and were a cool icy blue with tons of thorny blooms. I can't tell if they are annual or perennial because I keep forgetting where I planted them. I have them everywhere in my drought bed along with gaillardia and other drought lovers.

Anyhow, the plants are now beginning to go to seed at a faster pace and I will have a ton of seed in the next week. Any takers? I would be happy to send some out for SASBE. It's a great little summer project and a 2-liter with 1/2 of one of my packs makes dozens of babies suitable for fall plant out. Let me know! I will be checking the seed heads this afternoon.

Or, if you want to trade I have a want list posted for all the stuff I lost in this crummy spring summer we have had here in northwest Columbus. Whatever, I just would like to see folks try this plant. I have had very little luck with live plants and winter sowing this seed. Summer seems to be the key.

Comments (43)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I would love some. I had just added it to my list. Let me know.

• isamae
    16 years ago

Hi bakemom, I tried sowing sea holly in march when I first got started here winter sowing and it never germinated for me. Then I read one of your posts later in the season and thought oh I should try again. I bought some seeds and still had no germination after at least 2 months. I finally gave up and just recently dumped it. I would really like to give it another try-maybe your seeds will be the magic ones! I also would greatly appreciate a pic of a sea holly seedling and mature leaves if you have them handy and whatever you do that might help me!!. Thank you so much. Isamae

• Related Discussions

Sea Holly "big blue" bloom first year?

Q

Comments (3)
    I planted an Eryngium 'Big Blue' Sea Holly last year and it did bloom the first year. It was a beauty in the garden all summer. Sadly, Hurricane Sandy did it in. We live along a tidal river and had quite a bit of flooding in the bottom half of the garden. (Glub! Glub!) We just replaced it today with a new plant from the same local source. This time we'll put it higher up in the yard. Molie
    ...See More

Sea Holly or Eryngium Front of Border Plant??

Q

Comments (7)
    They bloom fairly early here (CT) and after the color fades, all that's left is gray/silver the rest of the season. I don't have them in front but even behind other things I'm not happy with them. They keep their form but I'm really not impressed with how they look once they pass their prime. Given my druthers, I'd plant something else, maybe stokesia, in the same spot. Just my opinion--others may weigh in in their favor.
    ...See More

Summer sowing sea holly

Q

Comments (11)
    I don't know which bakemom is growing, I don't even pretend I could recognize and identify the different varieties from photos....but the germination requirements arent the same for every SH. Some germinate 5 days sown fresh, some take a few months at 41F, others do better with warm/cold/warm...So if you have a pot that didn't germinate and you don't know which kind, don't toss. Water occasionally into Fall and leave it outdoors, never know what you may find in Spring.
    ...See More

Sea Holly - yay or nay?

Q

Comments (8)
    I planted the 'Hobbit' this summer, then realized it wasn't in a good spot (too short) and moved it -- then, the 100 degree days came and it was my fault for moving it, but then, I didn't have a crystal ball to know that this would be an impossible summer to plant anything new. So, I can't say if I liked it or not. Echinops 'ritro' (globe thistle) has been in my garden for four years and hasn't spread because the rabbits eat it (not the deer). I forgot to spray it with rabbit repellent before going on vacation this year and they ate it to the ground. It has come back, but hasn't bloomed for the first time since I've owned it. When it blooms, it is a stunning blue. That said, it hates rain and humidity, so I have to cut it back after it blooms. Cameron
    ...See More
  • moonphase
    16 years ago

Hi Bakemom,I too want to try this plant and would like to have some of your seeds.I have never growm sea holly before and an sure it will be a nice treat here.I will check your list.Send me your email addy for me to send and if I have anything you want in trade,I will include that also.Many Thanks.
    moonphase

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

You have email :)

I tried in May from some I got via trade but they didn't do anything.

• uptomyeyeballs
    16 years ago

I would love some! Email coming your way!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

isamae - please unblock your email or email me directly. I have no way to contact you and I think you are in need of a little sea holly success!

I must give credit to Storygardener - she gave me this plant - actually two of them several years ago. It was re-seeding for her all over her raised beds. I was astonished because I know this can be a tricky plant for some. The first year I harvested some seeds and ended up with 60 babies for fall plantout. Now, with an initial harvest, it's a matter of days to nice germination.

I still can't decide if this is a short-lived perennial or perennial. Seems like some of my clumps must be on year three. At any rate, they overwinter just fine and bloom the next spring.

I harvested a s-load today and it was the tip of the iceburg, so there is plenty for all.

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Bakemom, I think I'd like some seeds, if you have some left! Don't have much to trade for seeds, yet, but if you are interested in hosta, I have 350+ varieties. Or I can do the SASE...

Or, I could pick them up! Let me know.. I'll send you an email, not sure you can email me direct, I seem to have trouble with garden web on that...

• jackier123
    16 years ago

bakemon, I would love some of the seed. I do have some four o'clocks I can send you.

jackie

• seedmama
    16 years ago

bakemom,
    I think I've got you covered on your wish list, except for the cerinthe which I may be able to do in the spring. I'll e-mail you with the details.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

I sowed mine (recieved from kywildcat2)on January 10th and had germination by March 14th. I planted out 6 plants in late April and all are doing well, but won't see blooms until next year by the way it looks :D
    Here's one taken this morning.....
    {{gwi:415648}}

• storygardener
    16 years ago

Such pretty babies!!! I love that these seeds/plants are going from coast to coast! This is what it's all about!

Beverly

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

Think I want seeds for this plant. I sent you an email.

• irisgirl
    16 years ago

Bakemom, I would love some Sea Holly seeds - that color would go so nicely with our main front bed. Thank you for the offer!
    ~Irisgirl

• rosebush
    16 years ago

Bakemom,
    I would like some seeds if you have any left. I have had no luck with these, though I tried last year. Have lots of columbines to trade & will have bronze fennel soon, and cosmos too. PLMK
    Thanks!
    Rosemary

• Nancy
    16 years ago

Must be the same type I have, reseeds everywhere. I've had it for years, loves poor, dry soil; beautiful steel blue stems & flowers! I've wanted some of the other types of sea holly, but have had no luck with them.

• fairydancer
    16 years ago

Mine flop terribly.....I never get more than a single stalk, not bushy at all and it inevitably flops right over. I don't have much patience for stalking. Any pointers on getting nicer clumps that will stand upright? Is there a dwarf variety I could try out there?

Deb

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Oh!! If you have any left, I'd love some! I've tried without success to start them before but I still believe they SHOULD just love my dry garden.

• oknish
    16 years ago

Hi: I would be interested in doing a sase with you
    for these seeds. I have tried the last 2 years and
    not success. Thanks OrDella

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have plenty to go around. I'm off to harvest more seed!

This looks a lot like Vera's. I think Nancy has the same plant. If you have full sun and drought - go for it.

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Just got my sea holly & surprises yesterday, will sow them tomorrow.

Thank you!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I still have more and there's probably enough time to summer sow these for late fall plantout.

Don't be shy - SASBE is fine and I have freshly harvested spring seeds to throw in too.

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Got mine about a week ago, planted them, and have germination today!! Hooray!

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

I've got my containers and plant markers ready. I am determined to get these to work, any tricks or hints for sowing (depth etc)?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just press them into the moist soil like most other winter sown seeds. The seeds know what to do. You will have results in a matter of days.

I harvested more last night. I have tons. If for some reason any of you fail, don't hesitate to ask for more.

• ramazz
    16 years ago

If you still have the sea holly seeds, I would love some. Take a look at my list. Right now most of what I have is salvias. Lots of other things are blooming but not ready for harvest.

Becky
    ramazz

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

OMG, I am so late to this thread, but if you have a few more off those Sea Holly seeds, I would love to give them a try. I have had the damnest time trying to get them to germinate, but I have never tried sowing them in August!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Requests are still coming in and I still have plenty of sea holly for all. Germination for me was 5-7 days. In other words, first seed popped in 5, all were done by 7. This, in dappled shade in a 2 liter.

There's still time people! Send those SASBEs and we will have a sea holly wave.

• uptomyeyeballs
    16 years ago

Bakemom, You have got a sasbe coming your way! I can't wait to grow some of your sea holly!
    Thanks!

• isamae
    16 years ago

bakemom, looks like just about all of your sea holly seeds germinated and none of the store bought ones did. thanks for sharing your seeds! how big do your plants get? Isamae

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

1-3 feet tall this year. Congrats on your babies.

I still have plenty of seed people. Email me if you are interested.

• northforker
    16 years ago

Help Bakemom! It's been a week and I don't see any germination. I think I messed it up. I was afraid to place a clear cover over the flat because it is so $#@$% hot, but I wonder if the seeds need the humidity? (seems like there is enough in the air! I have kept them well watered (but not TOO damp)from the bottom. I had them in dabbled sun but moved the flat to full sun - still nothing. Should I cover it now? What do you think? MAybe I should wait a few more days before I give up?

Nancy

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't over think this. Wait a few more days and keep in dappled shade with a vented cover. Just like winter sowing, just with the goal of keeping out of direct sun and not drying out. At the same time, don't keep it too moist, just not dried out.
    If this doesn't work, I will send you more. You WILL have sea holly one way or another.

• northforker
    16 years ago

OK, went out this morning a repostioned the flat to dabbled sun and added a proped up clear cover. Took a close, close look to see if I could see any little tails going down into the soil from the seed but none yet. I do think I had a birdy visitor while they were undercovered though. Seems like less seed on top of the soil, but still plenty.

I'll give it some time now. Thanks!

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

I'm reviving this thread to ask another question.

I was one of the lucky ones who received some of Bakemom's sea holly seeds (thanks again so much!) I sowed them as instructed and got a remarkable germination rate (almost 100%!). But now it is almost time for frost, the baby sea hollies are only about 3/4 inch tall and I don't know what to do! Do I plant them out in the garden to fend for themselves? Do I have to coddle them through the winter indoors? Do I cover them up and pretend they are very, very early ws sprouts?

Help!!!! Please?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I planted the last of mine out last week.

• dawiff
    16 years ago

Dos anyone have any ideas for good companion plants for sea holly? Bakemom sent me some seeds just recently, and I'm wondering where to put them, or what to plant them with. Also, I gather from reading this that I should hold onto them till early next summer and sow them then? I wouldn't want to try them now cause we just got our first hard frost last night.

Alison

• northforker
    16 years ago

{{gwi:415649}}{{gwi:415650}}{{gwi:415651}} I got fabulous germination from Bakemom's Sea Holly seeds too. These seedling went out in the beds 2 weeks ago. I puzzled on companion plants as well, so I am interested to see what is suggested. Most of these went into a bed that is currently new and empty, so I can plant around them once ideas are forthcoming! A bunch went in behind a front bed edge of lambs ears - I thought the gray fuzziness would be a nice contrast to the blue/purple gray spikeyness.

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Oooooo, Nan! I wish mine were that big already!! Hope you will post pictures of the sea holly/lambs ear combination - sounds very interesting! I'm planning to put mine, along with some dusty miller, in a bed that is in front of a young long needle pine (from a distance the texture of these pines always makes me think of fur). I'm hoping it will make a nice contrast. In front of the sea hollies will be Stella D'Oro daylilies for color contrast.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like my hollies with rudbeckia. That being said - I don't have the "eye" for color that many artistic people have.

• dirtysc8
    16 years ago

lindakimy, your baby sea hollies should be fine in the ground because our cool nights are happening fairly gradually. Of course, if it makes you feel safer, you could put a cardboard box over them for tonight~

• Marie of Roumania
    16 years ago

dawiff, funny you should ask ... i was struck by a picture i saw on the interwebs this past weekend when i was drooling over piet oudolf gardens online ... eryngium underplanted with oregano. both plants enjoy the same sunny, dry conditions & the calm regularity of the background oregano really makes the bristly blue eryngium pop. i can't seem to find that picture again, but it looked fabulous & i fully intend to steal his idea next year.

cheers.

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Dirtysc8!!!! I'm so glad to see you post! You've been on my mind so much lately (don't know why) - been worried about you.

Last evening we got very busy bringing in houseplants that had summered outdoors. Good thing, too, considering our temperture in the low 30s this a.m. But, in all that flurry, I completely forgot the flat of sea hollies on the back deck! I guess we'll see just how hardy they are. Luckily they are under a big oak and I'm hoping the frost didn't last long enough to do them serious harm.

Marie, I love the oregano idea! In fact, I've been thinking about using several herbs in my flowerbeds next summer. There are so many pretty ones - the variegated sages, purple basil, etc., and my garden lacked the low growing things around the edges this year.

• rosebush
    16 years ago

Bakemom,
    I need your address again. Have some seeds for you. Pls email. Thanks!
    Rosemary

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor