SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Roots, Rot, and Rain!

This is a multi-part question! :-)

Roots - All of the bulbs that I bought had good roots! I soaked them before planting and they seemed to be in good shape. Just recently, my Rembrandt van Rijn seemed a little top heavy because of the bloom....then yesterday (in full bloom) the bulb fell completely over, with not a root in sight!! YIKES!! The bulb looks healthy otherwise. Should I clean off the basal plate and dust it with rooting hormones and replant! Otherwise, I'll stake up the plant and hope for the best!!

Rot - Someone (Lizalilly I think) has said that she had a problem with rot and lost many bulbs so now I am paranoid that something bad will happen to all my beauties. I think that the more you pamper some plants the worse they do. Seems like our bulbs thrive on neglect with as occassional hint of kindness. Aside from really overwatering, can someone provide hints as to how to avoid the dreaded ROT!?

Rain - May be a little related to rot.....June is often a very wet month her in Spring, TX (Houston area in general) and with a couple of downpours in the past couple of weeks, one day we received nearly 7 inches of rain(!!), I am wondering if I should provide any overhead protection for my plants. I was thinking along the lines of the "wavy" transparent fiberglass panels that some people use in patio covers. Hopefully this summer/fall I will be building a greenhouse, but in the meanwhile, do potted bulbs require any "relief" from downpours to protect the plants from becoming waterlogged.

Thanks!

Kristi

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions
More Discussions