SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

Kanapaha Gardens Gainesville FL

naplesgardener
16 years ago

Well I made a special stop (drove like mad for 5 hours in the rain) on my vacation to go to Kanapaha in Gainesville which says they have the largest bamboo garden in FL. It was nice but disorganized. It's 62 acres, not all bamboo, with paths not clearly marked, some are, some aren't.

Nice bamboo but my visit was spoiled by a non-informed front desk person who told me they didn't have any bamboo for sale (one of the reasons I came).

After touring the garden I did find a small sale garden next to the main building (with--surprise--bamboo!) but when I went to buy it I found that they had all left for the day and locked me in.

Bummer.

I didn't have a watch but figured by my phone call to my husband back at the hotel that it had to be about 5:05 when I found the door locked (about 30 feet from the nursery area).

The only exit is thru the main building and a walk around the perimeter showed a determined planting of thorny agave-like plants barring any escape so I yelled for about 10 minutes until I spotted someone in the distance (leaving in his car) who came and let me out.

Glad I didn't have to call 911 to get out of this garden. That would have been embarrassing.

Who knew love of bamboo could get me in trouble.

Anyway when we got home I went straight to Home Depot to buy a big pot of Seashore Bamboo (B. maligensis) that I didn't buy earlier because I thought I'd get something more wonderful at Kanapaha. Ha-ha.

There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz