SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fglavin

July Banana Update

18 years ago

This is more or less a continuation of an old thread. Just wanted to post an update for those interested in how my bananas turned out from being underneath the house all Winter. Some thought that they wouldn't survive, others thought that they would do well. Truthfully, I did lose one plant. It had almost no corm and not quite two feet of pseudostem, and died. I also cut two stems back quite a bit because they weren't growing at all and I suspected center leaf rot, which was the case. When I cut them back to a green center, they shot up quickly. The first picture was taken April 17th, about three weeks after planting:

{{gwi:415546}}

Second picture taken June 4. If you remember, for those of you living in the eastern half of the U.S., early May was quite cold! Not much growth is noted here, although they were just starting to really get going.

{{gwi:415547}}

This picture was taken July 16th. I've been feeding them horse manure and Peters 20-20-20. I've had to water quite a bit too, as we haven't had that much rainfall here in Nashville this summer.

{{gwi:415548}}

So, as you can see, this method works pretty well. My crawlspace is a bit too damp, but not enough to do any serious harm. Oh yeah, I found this last week too:

{{gwi:415549}}

I'm expecting another bloom or two, but there won't be enough time for them to plump up before first frost. In fact, there may not be enough time for this bunch to plump up. We'll see. BTW, I'm fairly certain the variety is orinoco.

I also stuck some sunflower seeds in between a few of the stalks. They tried to take over the garden!

{{gwi:415550}}

Happy banana growing!

Here is a link that might be useful: continuation of THIS thread

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus