SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowdogmama

can you stand another virus thread?

snowdogmama
11 years ago

I don't think I will ever again purchase another amaryllis. I have kept them for 20 years and spent many thousands of dollars on them.

I was retailing them 3 years ago when it became apparant that several of the bulb varieties my wholesaler shipped to me were mislabeled. They were not blooming out correctly. Then I realized that a huge percent were breaking dormancy with the red blight mite. That was a huge expensive loss of money and time.

Now the growers are shipping virused bulbs. I was blissfully ignorant of this until last week when I visited the forum and started reading a lot of old posts. I have only checked a few of my bulbs, but so far all that I have checked have displayed virus mottling in the leaves. I have decided that I will not give the money grubbing b@stards another dime.

I can't afford to have bench space taken up by pretty plants that I cannot sell. I even thought about selling them and listing them as virus infected, but I can't bring myself to do that either. Because of how poorly this rotten economy has treated dh and myself, I can't afford to replace plants either.

Today I checked pots of Stargazer, Picotee, Pink Accent and Evergreen. All were displaying mottled leaves. Are there any non infected strains? I think I will keep my very most favorites and all the others will go. I have about 45 or 50 varieties.

It breaks my heart to trash all these plants. Anyone that keeps infected bulb is welcome to contact me and I will let them know what varieties are going. I will ship them, but I will need to be reimbursed for the shipping. If you have any Christmas Cactus that I don't have or epis that you could send back, then I could cover shipping on those 'trades'.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions