SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabesque_gw

'Real' pups vs sucker pups

arabesque
17 years ago

What's the story on this issue?

I read on a grower's website that they only sell 'real' plants that dependably fruit well as opposed to other sellers that sell suckers that may never fruit. The 'real' plants can be identified when first putting out leaves by the spear shape of the leaves, rather than the typical banana leaf shape. As the 'real' plants get to be 4-5' tall the leaves change to the typical banana leaf shape.

I have a small banana stand of about 7 different varieties. Since reading this I now preserve the spear-leaved plants (up to three pups on a pseudostem). Whereas I recycle into the stand's compost, other pups with typical banana plant leaves.

My stand is relatively new, not old enough for me to have observed followup between different types of pups. Only 2 of my plants are now fruiting for the first time and I couldn't tell whether they had spear-shaped leaves as pups because they were 3-4 feet tall already when given to me.

Since I'd never heard or read anything about this distinction before or since, I'd love to hear from all of you who know about this what the real skinny is. Is it true, or what?

-Arabesque

Comments (4)