SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Smoke tree blooms (Psorothamnus spinosus)

grant_in_arizona
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Nothing earth shattering, but I'm really pleased to see that my smoke tree (Psorothamnus spinosus) is finally blooming. Those crazy things LOVE the heat! Below is a pic (and at the link at the bottom too).

{{gwi:408768}}

You see these things all over the drive between Phoenix and Palm Springs, right by the roadside, once you learn to notice them (something I didn't do for years until catching them in wonderful, azure blue bloom). Plus you see them in quite a few public plantings and semi-natural areas in Palm Springs. I don't know why they're not more popular in the Phoenix metropolitan area as they are immune to our weather. You see the name "Smoke Tree" in a lot of local resorts, restaurants etc., just not the tree itself, LOL.

In any case, I just wanted to share the cool, true blue blooms. If you're growing it too, let us hear alllll about it.

Take care,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My smoke tree blooms up close and personal.

Comments (5)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Wow Grant, what an awesome color. I'll have to see about locating some of that plant. Thanks for posting the eye candy!

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

my girl loves that color blue grant ... she would love this tree :)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Lovely color. How spiny is it?

• murmanator
    13 years ago

Grant, I always have wondered about Smoke Tree and why it is not used more here in Phoenix. THanks for posting the pix, it looks great.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments, it really IS a lovely color isn't it? I really don't know why it's not more popular in the Phoenix area. I saw a lovely specimen on the NE corner of Lincoln and Tatum in Paradise Vallely today (in the Barry Goldwater Park). Great stuff.

Lazy, I wouldn't even call it spiny. I'd say, rubbery maybe? It would be considered spiny if it's kept in the genus Dalea which it used to be, but on its own, I wouldn't call it spiny at all. Pointy, yes, but spiny, no. The stems are really very flexible.

I got it at Arizona Cactus Sales by the way, down in Chandler. They have a nice one along their back drive and they usually have a few in five gallon pots for sale.

Thanks again!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Cactus Sales in Chandler, AZ

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths