SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Is this a mulberry plant and would you keep it?

grant_in_arizona
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

LAST spring this little seedling popped up in this pot with a variegated Aloe brevifolia in it. Even though I only water the aloe when it's quite dry, the little seedling survived last summer, last winter, and is now actively growing again.

It's large enough that it's time to decide what to do with it this autumn (don't worry, I wouldn't dig or transplant it at this time of year, LOL).

So I have two questions, do you think, as I do, that it's a mulberry seedling? There are no mulberries that I know within several miles of my house, but I do know birds eat and drop the fruit/seed. It sure looks like a mulberry baby to me (Wilson the tennis ball included to show size). What do you think?

Second, if it IS a mulberry, would you keep it??? I must admit, I'm reallyl impressed with its hardiness and durability with hot sun, little water, and a record breaking winter, and yet it looks great. Would you keep it? I know the fruit is messy, but I'm actually tempted to keep it as I love trees that make good fruit here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on a possible ID, and then if it is a mulberry, would you take pity and grow it on?

Thanks for the discussion either way. I love coming to the forum to chat with everyone!

Happy gardening,
Grant

{{gwi:408523}}

{{gwi:408524}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden June 2013

Comments (22)