SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Florida Maple - Good Fall Color in Deep South!

MissSherry
16 years ago

The north central part of the Florida panhandle seems to have quite a few trees that are different from other areas at the same latitude, including where I live. I was impressed by the blaze of yellow, orange and gold beauty of roadside trees along I-10 in that area, so I looked closely at the leaves of the trees with this color at rest stops and saw that they looked identical to the leaves of my one and only acer barbatum/Florida maple. My Florida maple has much more vividly colored leaves than the native a. rubrums/red maples, which only turn just slightly red - mine are all natural, I haven't planted any cultivars. Florida maple is a VERY fast growing tree - mine was about 12" tall when I got it either last year or year before last, and now it's about 9' or 10' tall. Unfortunately, it's skinny, but I imagine it'll fill out in time. It's one of the few trees I've got that makes really good fall color - the other being black gum - so I think I'm going to order a few more. Here's a picture of the leaves on the bottom part of my tree -

{{gwi:494347}}
Sherry

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County