SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devafreya

Please help me get rid of this bamboo

DevaFreya
10 years ago

Long story as short as I can make it: I am desperate to get the running bamboo under control in my yard.

I dug a deep trench to isolate the "living above ground" grove 3 years ago (at that point it was about 8'x16'). I dug out an additional 8x8' area of "living above ground" bamboo, and dug out roots of additional areas that I wanted to use as gardens (no bamboo has grown back in any area that I've dug it out of, and it's been years for some of them).

All the bamboo outside of the trenched area has been mowed and/or cut down within a week or two (possibly 30 or 40 square feet of the yard). I was hoping that eventually, it would starve and the roots in the unwanted areas would die. The bamboo started growing as, what I've seen called "survival shoots" where they sprout leaves almost as soon as they grow above ground. There is no way to cut it down before there are leaves. There are now very few typically growing bamboo shoots outside of the grove, just tons of these survival shoots. So now it's been 3 years, and I'm starting to think that it might not die without more help.

Recently, we started digging up the bamboo roots from the far end of the yard, away from the grove, but I'm afraid I may have to admit defeat. My body is starting to rebel against all this digging and lifting and pulling. I'm a fairly small woman, and strong as I am, and as determined as I am, my body aches for days after a bamboo digging stint.

Will a Round-Up equivalent help me get rid of this bamboo? I was trying so hard to avoid using herbicides, but I'm getting desperate here.

More details, because brevity is not my forte:
The original above-ground grove was approx 24'x8' (I'm really estimating). I dug up 8'x8' of that 3 years ago, and dug a deep trench around the remaining area, to separate it from the stuff in the yard. I'd also removed some roots from an area that I dug up for a garden.
This spring, I dug up another another 8'x8' of it, and dug a new trench around the remaining grove. I also dug random areas of roots from the yard, hoping to "divide and conquer."
Thus far, my tools for digging up the bamboo have been shovels and loppers.
The remaining above ground bamboo grove is about 8'x8'. I have no plans on removing that, but I have a trench dug around it on my side, and there is a concrete barrier on the outside (and my neighbors say they've never had any come onto their side).
The bamboo roots stretch probably 30 to 40' into the yard in some places.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner