SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evaldas_gw

Some general questions about care and variety.

evaldas
12 years ago

Hello

My name is Evaldas and I'm from Lithuania. A few days ago I purchased my first potted banana plant and I love it:

{{gwi:408029}} {{gwi:408030}} {{gwi:408031}}

It says on the label "Musa Tropicana". I wasn't able to find much information about it, but then I found that "Musa Tropicana" is called "Musa Super Dwarf Cavendish". But I wasn't able to find much information on this variety either.Although it did say that it may produce edible bananas in about 3 years indoors. However, blooms and fruit is not my main objective :). So is it "Musa Super Dwarf Cavendish"? Where can I read more information about it?

What is this variety's Latin name? Musa acuminata?

I live in a pretty cold climate (the only frost risk free months June, July and August), therefore I'm only going to be able to keep it outside since May or June to August, and only during the days, during the night and the morning - an east facing window (so that it gets all the morning sun before I get up and take it outside). So it's gonna have to travel in and out everyday. I think it's going to enjoy our long summer days, right know we get about 17 hours of daylight. Although we don't have a very sunny climate.

Some questions:

1) Does this plant like full sun?

2) Can I remove the dead layers of former leaves from the stem?

3) This variety seems to be putting out a lot of pups. Some questions about them:

3.1 Do they drain energy from the mother plant?

3.2 Is it better to leave them or to remove them if I want a single big, robust, healthy plant?

3.3 How can one be removed from the mother plant with roots in order to plant it separately, but without digging out the whole mother plant out of its pot? Where to cut?

3.4 They have to have about 4 leaves before planted separately, right?

4) I'm fertilizing with a 6+4+6 + trace elements liquid fertilizer, about 250 ppm of nitrogen solution, half a gallon of the solution for a one gallon pot. Is this OK?

5) Right now it is in a one gallon pot, I'm going to repot it into a 3 gallon pot, how long 3 gallons will be enough for this plant? A year?

6) Overwintering:

6.1 Can it be overwintered with little light (like north facing window) with much less water and a temperature of about 10*C (with some fluctuations...)?

Thank you!

Comments (8)