SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Some general peony questions

kittens
12 years ago

I think I'm going to end up hitting every GW forum before I get my front yard finished! I love these plant specific nooks. I'm giving my front yard a make-over in zone 5. I'm looking for a street border plant to place in front of a low decorative fence. I want something that will die back so it doesn't get destroyed during snow plowing season. I was thinking hydrangea (for the long time bloom effect) but am also contemplating Peony which might require less pampering. I'm reading they like dry conditions which will alleviate me having to water frequently. The area is in full sun all day and tends to get very dry. Can any northerners comment on if I'm headed for any detrimental problems from the salt used in the winter on the roads?

Can you suggest a couple of companions for all season bloom? I have mostly shades of pink peony that I can use. I have some perennial phlox which is just banging for an extended period in the garden I could move in. Is there a preferred clematis everyone is using? I good drought-tolerant annual for the front of the peonies might be one of my better choices but I'd like some permanency, too. In addition to getting the bed into full-color, I'm going to need a low growing evergreen for winter interest or I'm going to have a dead-bed for the entire winter.

Moving. Should I be doing this very, very soon since I can't wait until the fall?

I've noticed powdery mildew on my peonies. Is that brought on by moisture? Is there a quick spray for this?

And finally, are you guys finding ants a problem? If so, any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County