SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerseycityz6b

My 1st Bamboo: P. Nigra Henon in NJ. Advice??

jerseycityz6b
17 years ago

Total noob to gardening here. Jersey city Heights, across from NYC, zone 6b. Stopped by a garden center during visit to in-laws last week and found a very healthy looking specimen: 12' x 1/2" culm with several new shoots 3'-5' still in sheaths in a 5 gal pot for $69. I couldn't resist.

When I get it back home in a few weeks (it wouldn't fit in our rental car) I plan to move it to a 24"w x 22"h container on our deck (see http://hell2heights.blogspot.com) and will likely overwinter it in the garage. I'm very tempted to plant it in a ground level bed at the edge of the deck (about 5' long and 18" deep) and let it do its thing.

My questions:

Although we're on the lee side of the NJ Palisades we do get a fair amount of wind. Should I expect a lot of top kill over winter if left outside?

Might it be OK wintered outside in-ground.

Might it be OK wintered outside in a container if the container is mulched/wrapped/etc?

If in-ground, how aggressive are it's running habits in this zone? I'd like it fill in the plant bed and wouldn't mind it coming up the other side of the fence (there's a concrete retaining wall in bettween) but I don't want it coming up on the other side of the 4' wide sidewalk, across the street, etc. I realize the right thing to do is dig out the soil in that bed and install a proper barrier first but I'd rather not go thru all that if it's a sluggish runner in this zone.

How long should I expect its shooting season to be and thus my 'unlruly shoot patrol' period? Is it just a few weeks in Spring or throughout the growing season?

I got a little Fargesia (18") too but I'm not worried about that one from a wintering point of view. I'm not sure which flavor of Fargesia it is but in general is it worth planting in the spot I have in mind (sun filtered thru a fence in AM, direct sun in late afternoon) or will it grow so slowly there that I'll get sick of it?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company