SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Looking for a lesser used but ornamental tree for part-shade

11 years ago

Beside our deck there's a I guess largish space between the house/deck and a large American Holly and I think a silver maple. I built a garden bed of Virginia-sweetspire and a few other things alongside the length of the deck. Most of that area between the holly and the garden bed was where we kept a trampoline, between the space and the rectangular foundation planting against the deck. The trampoline was old, so it's now gone, and left behind was a circular ring on the ground. The ring is not centered but I'm basically turning the space between the ring and the garden bed I already have into a raised stone/gravel patio to give our home additional seating since our house/porch is small and add value.

I'm looking for a really ornamental (or multipurpose) tree for the circle. Looking for something that gets from 8-15 feet tall or so. It's part shade. A mockorage in the vicinity of that area blooms rather okay , but roses aren't terribly productive there if that's any indication of sun. The goal is multi-seasonal interest.

We already have a lot of spring and early summer bloomers; a two story tall, a 75 year old weeping cherry tree, mockorange as stated, lilac, and dogwoods so I scratched those possibilities out. We also have evergreen azaleas, and nikko-blue hydrangea. I just planted camellia 'Shibori Egao' on the other side of the steps of the porch so it's loosely part of the same design. That blooms in fall/winter.

Being said I am not wanting a Japanese maple, they're so common here, nor dogwood or a silverbell. I need something that is interesting or blooms not the same time as everything else, and also be a showpiece.

It's too shady for crepe myrtle.

I don't know really what to try, was thinking an evergreen, I was thinking camellia oleifera or a species or cross that's hard enough for here but camellias are such slow growers, though that area might get some of the cold hardy or old fashioned types, I'm just not sure anything other than oleifera would make a strong enough "showpiece" in terms of trunk.

I was considering a Stewartia but they eventually get quite big right?

I was also considering a Rosseyanka or 'Nikita's Gift' persimmon perhaps? Or would that need too much sun, I know American persimmons don't need AS much sun as regular kaki.
I thought the idea of remaining fruit hanging on after leaf drop is appealing and would blend in with our other Japanese plantings/aesthetic.

Anything off the top of your head I should look into maybe?

Comments (12)