SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basic_gw

Korean X Japanese Maple

basic
10 years ago

Yes, I know technically this should be on the Maple Forum, but it's my way of protesting. I'm a bit tardy with this rant, but I've held this in way too long: Why were maples separated from the tree forum? Was the Tree Forum too busy to include maples? Were maples, especially Japanese, somehow dissed on the Tree Forum and required their own space? Was there some sort of bullying against maples by other mean genera? Dont get me wrong, I love maples, but this is kind of silly. OK, I feel better.

There's a couple of new Acer x pseudosieboldianum hybrids coming out and I'm totally comitted to plating one. I still don't have a Korean Maple seedling, but that's only because I can never find a decent looking nursery specimen. Why is it they all look like a dust broom from the 50's? The fall color can be outstanding, but has anyone ever seen a truly outstanding specimen? I'm sure they exist, I just haven't seen one. Is this tree over-rated? I've gone on long enough; here's my question: Is there a consensus on which of the named Japanese x Korean crosses has greater merit? The three I'm aware of are 'Artic Jade', 'North Wind', and 'Northern Glow'. Do you get the feeling they're marketing to northern gardeners?

Comments (13)