SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

mild winter = happy basjoo!

You guessed it . . . my basjoo survived ABOVE GROUND this winter! I tried a new wrapping technique this winter, so it was probably a combination of mild temperatures and better insulation. I cut the pseudostems down to a foot and a half, wrapped them in a couple layers of fiberglass insulation (that pink stuff), and then wrapped the entire thing in black plastic. I uncovered them last week to find that the entire foot and a half of 6" thick parent pseudostem survived as well as two or three of the pups' pseudostems. Last spring I had to start from the ground up, and only reached 6 foot tall. It should be interesting to see how tall I can get them this summer now that I'm starting at a foot and a half! I know this isn't too rare for all you guys in warmer zones, but it's exciting for me in my zone 6a!

I've also overwintered two basjoo in REALLY large pots in my basement under grow lights. They've done quite well with four or five new leaves each. These guys will be starting out at 4' tall and fully leaved, so it should be interesting to see how tall they get by summer's end!

This winter was also kind to some of my other tender perennials. Besides my basjoo surviving the winter outside, I was able to overwinter my calla lilies in the ground as well as my Gunnera manicata (which has two new leaves already!).

Here's some pics of the basjoo:

At the end of this past summer, ~6 feet tall:

{{gwi:406166}}
Wrapped and ready for winter:

{{gwi:406168}}
One of the two in my basement, taken back in December(it has three more leaves now):

{{gwi:406170}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm