SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Pictures taken today - -

carrie630
15 years ago

I guess I like yellow and red - 'cause that's what I got...

{{gwi:362981}}

but I don't mind yellow and purple...my blue balloon flowers are barely showing... but they are there!

{{gwi:404209}}

Did Scabiosas this year - see them to the left?

{{gwi:404211}}

{{gwi:404213}}

{{gwi:404215}}

Carrie

Comments (30)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Just beautiful, Carrie. Everything looks so lush, and the colors are outstanding! I love it!

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Those chocolate centers on the ruds...yum yum.

• Related Discussions

Acouple Pictures From Today

Q

Comments (2)
    Lovely blooms! How tall is your trellis and other support that I can't see under all those beautiful flowers. Thanks, Marlene
    ...See More

April Pictures

Q

Comments (5)
    To protect the tomatoes from the cold. It keeps the tomatoes warm and the top opening of the bottle helps to control the moisture that can collect in the bottle. When the weather warms up you take them off and your tomatoes have had an earlier start in the ground. I use walls of water because I live in a colder climate (maybe 90 days growing time) and they give me an extra month or more growing time for my tomatoes. Lois's flowers and tomatoes really look healthy and beautiful in her pics!
    ...See More

Sunday pictures taken today and rats!

Q

Comments (31)
    Ewww, rats - I'm sure you'll win the war, but YICK to have them in the first place. I love the 'Silk Road' lilies. I really want to plant a bunch of oriental and asiatic lilies this fall. I had some gorgeous ember-red-orange asiatic ones called 'Avignon' at the old garden, but that variety is hard to come by now - I might have to try another similar one instead. I also had a lovely oriental called 'Bergamo,' that I think I can still find. And the "tiger" lily 'Sweet Surrender' is one of my favorites. The bulb catalogs are starting to roll in - I'll have my wish list made soon! Laurel
    ...See More

Some pictures taken today

Q

Comments (10)
    Did you know that Paul Neyron is really easy to root from a cutting? So, if you ever decide you'd like more of it, you don't need to purchase another one. Also, good for sharing with family, etc. I rooted a Paul Neyron for my grandmother a few years back and it's still doing well. The three easiest roses I've rooted are Paul Neyron, Heritage, & Mrs Dudley Cross. Randy
    ...See More
  • seedmama
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• ptp813
    15 years ago

How beautiful....are these all wintersown plants?

:-) Pam

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, all - just had to take pictures of the BES - yes, the choc centers do look delicious....

pam - everyone wintersown (but a couple of years ago), but the daylilies you may see and the clumps of fescue grasses and some shrubs. Agastache, BES, monarda, scabs, balloon flwrs, four oclocks, blue salvia - (right bottom) - all done by seed.

Here are my spring sown zinnias today, along with ws gaillardias, calendulas, salvias - Mostly everything in my gardens are from seed. (Who can buy all those plants??)
    (To the left of the stones - on the "burnt" grass - is a wire dome - I have several of them and I surround the zinnias at night to try and keep the bunnies off of them.
    {{gwi:404217}}

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

... lol - I mean "everything"... not everyone

Carrie

• dereks
    15 years ago

It just amazes me that you started all that with seeds. It's the kind of garden I like, tall plants and random colors.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, amongst the borders, I do have daylilies and spirea and rose of sharon (not wintersow) - but for the most - yes, all from seed. Amazing, isn't it? And think of all the $$$ I saved.

I never knew BES came back and even taller than the first two years they bloomed, so this year was really a surprise for me.

Shasta Daisies were 10 cents in Walmart and I am loaded with them - Here is a repeat photo of just one area of the shastas that were done by seed:
    {{gwi:404218}}

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Lovely, it looks like a garden should look. I like the way you worked the pavers in and the stone border. Sure don't see any weeds in yours!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

AhhhhMAZING!! Just gorgeous! The colours are just so playful and bouncing from one plant to another is fun!

There is a plant that repeats itself in your photos which I'd like to know what it is. In your initial post it is located in the lower right corner of the last photo. Looks variegated. What is it?

Bet you got butterflies with those Monardas. They were winter sown? I have pinks from when I started gardening in the early '80s and last year bought a deep purple and was given a red Jacob Cline. So looking forward to seeing them all bloom. How old are the reds in that first shot?

Nice, VERY nice! :O)

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi tiff,

Monarda - four years old. Come to think of it - I am wrong - I did NOT wintersow those. I think I bought them -sorry for the oversight.
    The shrub is merely a variegated ligustrum and I have about five of them - which I intend to move out of there because they grow really big and every spring I have to prune them down - plus that gives me more space for flowers or another less vigorous shrub. I bought the shrubs for like $2.00 in Home Depot about four years ago - they were so small but they grew so fast. They make pretty white flowers in the spring, but other than that, they are just ligustrums.

Carrie

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Carrie. Always enjoy seeing your garden. Those zinnias have really grown. I also have wire cages that I put over newly planted flowers to keep the squirrels from digging them up.

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

Just vibrant with colors. Love them all. ;-)

Your garden is much more advanced than ours up north. My Monarda is far from blooming. I did see a lot of buds on my Rudbeckia today.

Thanks for sharing.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Oh boy....you done it now! I'm moving in.

Vera

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Carrie - I am in awe of your gardens and what you have done by wintersowing - one question tho - how long will you have that explosive color and will other plants take over?? I STILL cannot achieve that season long color. I did do a huge TM seed order and plan to do the mass plantings like you are doing and drifts of BES and daisies. Will they last for several months for you?? Do you deadhead on a regular basis to keep the blooms coming??I am also going to do lots of zinnias which I know will bloom all summer. I hope you don't mind my asking so many questions - we are so close in planting zones both being in NC that I feel what will work for you should work for me. Thank you so much for inspiring me again and again.....

Lynne

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I wish I had your green thumb and your zone. I am so zone, sun envy. Awesome from a woodland gardener......... Barb

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Carrie,

Oh gosh! Now you are going to have to get cages to keep Vera out. :O)

First thing I thought of when you IDed the 'shrub' is that since it's a member of the Privet family you could actually create small trees which would have just one trunk going up about 6 feet or so and then shrub at the top - like a topiary. These are easily trained to do this. You'd probably have to take cuttings and root them since the ones which are in the gardens have so many stems coming from the base, but it wouldn't take long.

Lynne,

It's easy to deadhead BES and Daisies. When the first flowers start to fade, just grab all the stems as though you are grabbing a bouquet and cut them. I don't go one by one as some folks do. Takes too long.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Looks GREAT! I like yellow and red together.
    Isn't it nice when you have everything filled in? I didn't even weed my front flower bank till last week when I added zinnias, hardly any weeds because of the close plantings

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks - all so much (Vera - "come on down"...)

lynne -

Last year the BES lasted until frost. As the Monardas lose their colorful blooms, it's a blessing because they are sort of crowding the BES...Agastache stays good if I keep deadheading, daylilies (a good many) are rebloomers, shastas last quite a while (been going strong now for over a month), I do keep deadheading but eventually they will be cut back - probably in another couple of weeks - the blooms are just shorter and shorter until all the plants are whacked. The daisies are in the raised bed behind my borders and inbetween them I have BES which will bloom til frost and Helianthus Angustifolius - blooms in October. There's phlox in there too and that will bloom along with the shastas anyday now and last year stayed beautiful til November.

This year I did something different. Of course, zinnias are good until November, but I used to have mums, sedums behind them, which gave me good fall color. It just so happens that a couple of days ago, I changed my mind. I could do that because I had taken those sedums and mums in the spring and put them in my holding bed.

Now, behind the zinnias (I started today) I put already bloomed (from my holding bed) coral salvias behind the pink zinnias. Behind them, BES which will stay til frost. The veronicas, blue salvias, powis castle, scabiosa pincushion, gaillardia - all stay bloomed until November's frost - but I do a LOT of deadheading. The other that stays bloommed are the melampodiums til frost (but you must be familiar with all of the above mentioned)

Does that help any?

Carrie

I do have goldenrods, sedums, boltonia and a few mums in another bed, but I've never taken those pictures. What pictures I do show are my spring, summer borders and hopefully everything will look colorful up until November.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just read your post, tiff (LOL vera in the cage...)

Yes, the shrubs on in the privet family - very invasive but I like them (and they are cheap, too!).... Thanks for the tip - my, you are the ambitious one! and so creative!

Carrie

• PVick
    15 years ago

Carrie - hope you don't mind, but I snagged that first photo of the BES and monarda for my desktop at work. Totally cheers me up!

PV

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pvick - I only charge a dollar.... but oh..okay, this time around it's free..... :0) (PS I am so flattered....I needed that!)

Carrie

• squirrel_girl
    15 years ago

Carrie,

In my fledgling garden, "everyone" wouldn't be a Freudian slip. My mom says "Dogs are people too". Well, when you raise a garden from seed, I think it's inevitable we will see the plants as a little village of children and friends.

So in my book, when you tend to your garden, you are free to refer to every one of your black-eyed Susans, Johnny Jump Ups, and Angelicas as "everyone".

I'm IN LOVE with your BES and gaillardias. Brilliant colors.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I guess if I can "kiss" the blooms cause they are so pretty, I can refer to them as "every one" - after all they are living plus if you step on them, they let you know it! (by flattening out, that is...)

Carrie (I know, the heat has gotten to me.....)

• achilleasheel
    15 years ago

Lovely. All that cheerful yellow is so inviting. I'm rethinking my personal ban on red/yellow combinations. Yours works so beautifully. And the cost can't be beat.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

achillea - I know what you mean about red and yellow - I usually prefer yellow/purple - - but there are times when those two colors just cheer me up - I have a bit of the purple monarda - I may choose to place them near the BES next year and put the red near the Shasta Daisies - but who knows how ambitious I will be moving perennials next spring PLUS planting out babies....

Carrie

• paulan70
    15 years ago

I really like your garden it is so pretty. I bet it is so relaxing to just sit out there and listein to the birds and see all those pretties near you.

Paula

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

If you tear out some of that Monarda, you can sebd it my way, :-) I am planning on tearing out all the ditch lilies in the back border of one slope I am working on, I have the yellows, need reds and purple.

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Carrie,
    Your flowers look like something in a magazine! I'm drooling!!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, all...

now shasta, by any chance would that magazine be... "Plunk and Run?" ....

Carrie :0/

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting