SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninaco

cut the main stalk, now what?

ninaco
18 years ago

I'm new to banana growing and I have a question about a Brazilian banana we purchased last summer. It's a standard size, in a half barrel planter. Grew beautifully and we fed it regularly (per the advice I read here) but we have the occasional frost here in Tucson.

The hard freeze in Jan. killed the banana stalk. I cut it down to about 2 feet as the leaves were brown, wilted, totally gone.

I read that the pups would come up and sure enough, there are two. A third one got hit with a second surprise freeze and I hadn't blanketed the pot. But two pups were fine with me, looking forward to seeing them grow. All well and good. Now the original stalk is growing again. It looks like a pale telescope, going up and up. I believe there's a leaf in there.

My question- is this going to produce a viable plant? Should I remove the pups? We have about 3 more weeks where there's a possibility of a freeze but given this unusually warm dry winter, it's doubtful. Should I wait until to remove the pups? What about the remains of the original plant? My last question- will the plant produce fruit if it is in a half barrel with two pups? Or should some go into the ground?

Thanks so much. Normally I'm on the AZ gardening forum but then somebody wrote the word "banana" and I got curious and now I'm hooked. Thanks for any tips and advice.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting