SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lceh_gw

Can invasive bamboo sprout from fine roots?

lceh
17 years ago

We inherited a very large grove of invasive bamboo when we bought our house. We've finally begun the process of trying to eradicate/contain it. My husband clear-cut the grove this weekend, and we're having someone come in with a Bobcat to take out the runners and stumps (an aside: any advice here would be appreciated, we're kind of winging it). We're also going to sink a thick plastic barrier around the perimeter of our property to try to keep it at bay.

Here's my question: After generations of birds nesting and leaves falling in this grove, the topsoil is AMAZING -- black, crumbly, wormy, and generally to die for. I want to dig out as much as possible from between the stumps before the Bobcat comes it and, alas, carts most of it away with the runners. However, as I dig, I can tell the soil is full of little roots -- not big runners, mind you, but very fine little roots that tear easily. There are far too many to try to separate from the dug soil. If I work this soil into my new garden bed, am I going to be making a colossally stupid mistake and transferring bamboo to my front garden? Or will the roots simply rot and become more yummy compost?

Comments (8)

Sponsored