SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomtomato

Good deals? Still time to plant?

heirloomtomato
13 years ago

I need some advice about some trees I could get good deals on (at least I think they are good deals!). The local Home Depot has their plants at 75% off. They have Clumping River Birch for $3.29, these are about 5 foot tall. They have 2 different kinds of ornamental pears for $4.99 and these are about 6 foot tall. There are some maples - can't remember exact name - Autumn Blaze maybe and those are $7.99 and about 6 feet tall. These trees are all in really healthy shape. I am wondering if I should take the risk and if I could still plant them now. I do have a 14 x 24 high tunnel greenhouse that I could plant them into over winter if that would be better or should I take the chance and set them out now? I have been wanting to get some trees for some landscaping I want to do anyway and I hate to pass up a deal!

Also, I can get gallons of boxwood for 99 cents and gallons of euonymus (wintercreeper) "Emerald Gaiety for 83 cents each (I did get 3 of those already) Pretty hard to pass up those prices especially when I know they will get used!

I also welcome any advice from anyone who has these trees and if they preformed well for you. There is a Kousa dogwood I am tempted to get. It is $29 down from $129. It is good size - 3 inch trunk and about 8 feet tall. My problem is that it looks like instead of a central leader (right terminology?) it had a "Y" top and that at sometime one of the "Y's" had got broken and they trimmed it off and now it is somewhat lopsided to one side of the tree. Would this ever be able to recover and look right?

Sorry for all the questions but I would love to take advantage of these good deals but am on a budget so want to make the most of them! BTW, my soil type where I live is very well drained.

Thanks so much!

Comments (35)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

As a general rule HD plants at the end of the season are not 'good deals'. They use a vendor to care for the plants and the chances are good the pots have baked in the sun, dried out, are rootbound, have been kicked over, etc. If you want to risk it, more power to you.

Dan

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan;
    So you're saying that even though the plants appear to be healthy and they do appear very healthy, that they may still be compromised?

• Related Discussions

New plants.Think good deal at H.D.

Q

Comments (42)
    it was a domestic US flight - so no customs! I had a packed box with plants in checked suitcase and another in carry-on. nobody even asked anything. as far as i know hawaii needs plant cert to get in/out, cali to get plants in and fl has citrus restrictions. but others - no problems. trini, can you advice us on light for thai ags? the best i could find was very bright indirect sun, with very early/very late weak sun 1-2 hours beneficial for color. i already managed to burn one leaf in FL in not so weak sunset light. any idea in foot candles/lux? i cannot find any ref to that anywhere at all. i think they are close to ming aralia in growing conditions. hopeful, don't thai ags start spotting on leaves in cool temps? do yours have spots/yellow leaf margins? mine were for 2 weeks at may be 62F AT THE ROOTS and one young leaf started showing gray spots, now turning yellowish. i immediately put it on a heating pad and raised temps in the room to 70F (near windows is cooler by 5F). i also have tropical ferns/aralias/anthuriums/african masks that can't stand getting cold feet - they were all tented when i was away and temps were at 65F. that's how i keep them going well. should've tented ag too right away!
    ...See More

Still time to plant some green giants?

Q

Comments (7)
    Yep, same for the spruce. Good luck with the planting. With regard to too-late-in-the-year planting, which this is really not, I picked up some Abies nordmaniana at a local garden center a couple autumns back. But this was late.....some time in November if memory serves. The trees were potted and were just plain beautiful. Since they were marked down to almost nothing, I chanced planting them right away. In this case, when I lifted them out of their pots, there were enough circling roots and whatnot that I felt compelled to separate out some of those roots. Long story short, between the lateness of the year and I believe, my root disturbance, the trees did not fare well. They're still alive today, but all the upper portions have died back. Since these are just a few out of thousands of other trees coming up in that field, I haven't really done anything with them to date.. They're sort of shrub-firs! +oM
    ...See More

still time to plant squash now?

Q

Comments (3)
    Cucumber beetles, Squash vine borers and don't forget the Shield bugs (stink bug). This year the stink bugs were the worse I have ever had. I am starting preparations for my favorite garden, the fall garden. Good luck, Mitch
    ...See More

Any good deals out there on fresh plants?

Q

Comments (3)
    I've been by Malmburg's in Rogers - they are running a BOGO. I've not been in to see them yet. Nelsons here in Zimmerman runs a special every week. Grasses are on sale 2/1. Lynn
    ...See More
  • gardningrandma
    13 years ago

LEts take a careful and openminded consideration of said bargains...
    Clumping River Birch for $3.29...
    "clump" birch is grown offer one of 2 ways, Multiple plants growing in a container (bad), usually they way they are found at home improvement centers, and a single stemed plant that was snipped at an early edge so to send out more than one shoot at or above the ground (better). PErsonally if you want a RB, find one that is single stemmed, the way they are most often found growing in the wild. Bargain? As long as it's not multiple plants grown in the container.

They have 2 different kinds of ornamental pears for $4.99 ....

There are two types of ornamental pears.... The awful kind and the Horrible kind. Short lived, weak wooded, and eventually hazardous. Planting trees can be considered an investment. Planting pears is like investing in a business and losing a lot of money. Bargain? Definitely not.

Autumn Blaze maybe and those are $7.99...
    You are in Penna. The land of gorgeous red and sugar maples. Don't buy an inferior (yes I said it!) hybrid of silver and red. Buy 100% red. Autumn blaze is a hybrid, ideal for the gardeners in the west of the US with alkaline soils that can't grow the better of the two.
    Bargain? If you can find a red maple.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I think Dan is just saying to be careful. Don't assume you are getting a good deal just because the price is good. If the plants appear healthy, are not potbound, are not suffering from mishandling, and are decent plants then, by all means, save some money and enjoy the good deals. I buy quite a bit from HD, and generally have good luck. I do pass on their distressed stuff though.

Do be sure to check out the list of potential invasive plants before adding to your landscape. I noticed you mentioned "ornamental pears". Please note that Callery pears ('Bradford', 'Cleveland Select', and all other cultivars) are listed as invasive in your state! The 'Emerald Gaiety' Euonymus fortunei may be safe (I'm not all that familiar with this cultivar), but the plain species is an invasive pest plant in your part of the country. Euonymus fortunei is a major pest here in Tennessee, and I hate the stuff with a passion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Exotic Plants In Pennsylvania

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "Clumping River Birch". Gardningrandma's right, it may or may not be a good specimen, depending on how it's grown

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your honest answers. That's why I came to this forum because I was sure you were all better informed then me about trees and it appears you are! LOL! I did see one Red Maple so maybe that is the true bargain out of the whole bunch? I did go look up info on the ornamental pears and found what you said about them so I will definitely not be going that route. I will have to take a look again at the birch to see how they look. I thought there was only one stem to a container but now that you told me how they were grown I better check again. Really I was looking for something with interesting bark so maybe you have another suggestion?
    I saw one cotinus in the back but did not look closely at it. I cringe to ask because I am sure there is something wrong with them also? Have to check to see if there is cultivar info on it.
    Good info on the Red Blaze maple (if that's what it was, have to double check) as I didn't know they were hybrids but have just started my research since I just saw these plants today. I can grow any veggie or perennial plant you want but I don't have a lot of experience with trees as I'm sure you all can tell.
    Hey, at least I asked before I bought any!!! Thanks SO much for all your insight! I really do appreciate it.
    Karen

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Before you by from HD go over to Lowes and check out their good deals. I have had better luck with their plants and trees.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Brandon for the link - I think we were posting at the same time! I will take a look at it and I will most certainly not be getting any of those pears!
    Does anyone have experience with the Kousa dogwoods? Probably not getting it but just in case I would welcome anyone's experience.
    Oh, there's a gorgeous variegated boxwood but of course that is still to pricey!
    Thanks again - Karen

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Not one of the experts here-just love trees-and I do love my two Kousas.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Amazingly cheap!

If you really want the plants go for it. Your labor and the "time possibly wasted" if they dont make it are the only risks you take.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, checked and the red maple is gone. The only maple left is Fairview Flame. Is this also a hybrid and what is your opinion of it?
    They also have a Kwanzan flowering cherry. It is about 2 1/2 inch diameter and maybe 6 ft tall so I would be worried about being root bound in pot but other then that is this a decent ornamental tree? The pics online are beautiful and some say it has a short life span but that's okay for the price.
    I asked the lady how long they were going to have the sale and she said til they're gone or they decide to throw them out so I am guessing sometime soon these will all end up in the dumpster. My daughter works right next door at the grocery store so I am there dropping her off for work at least 5 days a week. Would love to make them a flat rate deal when they decide they are tired of dealing with them but I doubt I'd get that lucky!
    Thanks again for all the help.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Fairview flame appears to be a Red maple, not a hybrid (Based on my google search). I'm not familiar with that cultivar but it's hard to go wrong with red maple cultivars IMO, they're all pretty reliable. There's been some recent discussion about red sunset not being one of the better ones though.

I have nothing against Kanzan (actual spelling) cherry. Not the the best tree in the world but I use them for mass flowering sort of in the background. If you want to see if it's pot bound , pull it out of the container and take a look.

And...
    If you're going to buy something at lowes or depot, don't forget to go to the post office first and get a free movers guide. Inside you will find a 10 pct off coupon for one or the other. They take each others coupons. They're good for the whole order not just a single item.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Also I have observed the same thing dsieber mentioned. Lowes seems to have a better looking selection and they are better about making deals. Of course depot by me doesn't hardly have any trees. They get them in the spring and let them sit out in the parking lot until they croak.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardninggrandma; Thanks for all the help! I will look for that coupon at the post office. Unfortunately, I don't have a Lowe's anywhere close to me so I can't check out their plant selection. I am hoping to go back and see if they still have the flowering cherry and maple tomorrow. I am going to pass on the birch's because when I looked tonight (they were closing) they did seem to have multiple stems.
    brandon; I did look at the PA invasive species list and the euonymus fortunei is on the watch list. Since I already bought 3 of them I will just make sure I am careful where I plant and keep an eye out for them reproducing unwanted babies in the area.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

i agree with all the above...

but .....

i didnt see anyone say: AT THOSE PRICES ... WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE????

jimminee ... for a crisp 20 dollar bill .. you can have a forest ...

so what if a few die ... i mean really .. if all but one 40$ tree lives.. you are still 20 bucks ahead .. dont you think ...

but for the dogwood... most the stuff is bulletproof ...

if you went ahead.. and had reasonably draining soil.. i would just sink pots and all to the top of the pot.. and mulch heavily .... and start figuring out how to get them all planted.. as soon as the ground thaws

in my z5 ... we transplant/plant ... 6 to 8 weeks prior to ground freeze .... which is around 1/1 or so ... so you are within that window ...

but its a bit late to get some fall root growth as the soil is quickly losing its warmth ... but basically ... with the suspended animation of ground freeze.. the plants will just sit there until spring.. so if you can get a few PROPERLY planted in the next week or two ... what the heck ... go for it .. but if you cant.. plant them PROPERLY as soon as the ground thaws around 4/1 .. again .. 6 to 8 weeks before the heat of next summer ....

a buck is a buck .. and if you can get stuff for 90% off ... and YOU ARE HAVING FUN.. so what if a few die next spring/summer ....

ken

PS: there is another post about holding over stock in pots .... i would NOT put them in a greenhouse ...

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Ken writes:
    "i didnt see anyone say: AT THOSE PRICES ... WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE????

jimminee ... for a crisp 20 dollar bill .. you can have a forest ...

so what if a few die ... i mean really .. if all but one 40$ tree lives.. you are still 20 bucks ahead .. dont you think ... "

If you look at planting a tree as an investment, like I do, then you clearly do have something to lose.
    TIME.

I know you have some acreage, Ken. Most people don't have that much space to work with. Every inch of space in the garden is a premium. If you plant a potbound freemans maple you picked up for $3.98 that has been dying a painful death from baking atop an asphault pizza oven, it will take longer to get going and then 4 years from now you could discover a bad girdling root that pretty much seals the fate of the tree. That's 4 years down the drain. Then you're back at square one.

I think the average time someone spends in a house is something like 7 years. 7 years is a good amount of time to get some landscaping established. 3 years, not so much.

If you find a 5' potbound, suffering tree for $4 and 4 years later, it's being removed, that was a bad investment. It's done nothing to help the property value or curb appeal.

On the other hand if you plant a healthy quality 5' tree that you picked up for $75, 4 years later, it could be flourishing and could already potentially add a great deal to the value and provide much curb appeal and valuable shade which could of course pay dividends in energy savings as well.

For that reason, you won't read "what do you have to lose" from me. You have a great deal to lose. Precious time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

hey g-ma

anyone with a 14 x 24 high tunnel greenhouse is probably not on a postage stamp sized lot in suburbia..

regardless.. i accept your point that if you have limited space .. investing in the right plant ... for the single spot is probably a higher priority ..

but besides my 5 acres .... at my age.. I HAVE MORE TIME THAN MONEY ... so the bargain would be of higher value to me .. but that really isnt the point of my comments.. i was simply offering the alternative to all the warnings ... the OP will do.. what he wants to do .... and should not be handicapped by only one side of the argument ... give him all the facts.. to make his own own informed decision ... as i said with my 1st post ... first line.. I AGREED WITH ALL OTHER POSTS ...

also ... over the years i have simply gotten rid of all my euonymus .. due to its susceptibility to scale ... that plant is simply not worth the requisite chemicals.. or care ... google 'scale on euonymus' and read up .. and then flip to the images side.. to insure you dont buy a plant already infected ...

ken

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ken and g-ma;
    I appreciate both your comments and agree that time is an investment also and I would hate to waste time on a plant that will eventually die a slow death anyway. Having said that, Ken is right in that I do have some acreage to play with - 20 acres to be exact. We have been here 6 years and don't ever plan on moving again. I have a creek running through the back of our property and a huge lawn in front. The left side of the driveway used to be a horse pasture but not anymore and we are mowing it so that it doesn't grow up in scrub brush. On the right of our driveway (in front of house) we have some very old standard apple trees. They produce once in awhile but are mostly for character now! Our driveway sits a bit back off the road and I have plenty of space to play with.
    I am rethinking the euonymus considering everyone's problems with it. Haven't decided yet. I want to do some landscaping on the front of our house that faces the road as it is bare. I am not sure what will go there as I can't put anything to large there.
    Thanks again for all the good advice and be sure I am taking it all seriously and weighing all my options.
    Karen

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Beach, Oak, Hickory, Sugar Maple

Excellent trees for people that have both space and time.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Since I already bought 3 of them I will just make sure I am careful where I plant and keep an eye out for them reproducing unwanted babies in the area.

Wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands, searching every inch of a 3-4 square mile area! Congratulations. ;o) Take them back.

Nonetheless, as above you may get a decent plant or two out of the lot. Is it worth the time wasted on the ones that die? That is for you to decide. Me, no way.

My 2â

Dan

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan;
    I understand your point (though maybe not the sarcasm). I only have a little over $2 in the euonymus so if I don't plant them I'm not out much.
    I am going up later tonight with a truck and picking up the 3 trees I had them set back, which are the:

Fairview Flame maple
    Kanzan (Kwanzan?) flowering cherry
    Harvest Gold flowering crabapple

I hope that they will all preform well for me but since I was well warned I will try not to be disappointed if any of them fail. I DO think it is worth my time but I agree that if I had a smaller lot that I would probably not risk it.
    Karen

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Kanzan.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardninggrandma -- thanks! The tag said Kwanzan but it could be wrong and I did see it listed in several places on Google searches as Kwanzan. I expect that the name could have gotten written wrong over time and just kept being spelled that way? That happens a lot with heirloom tomato varieties (my personal passion!) Thanks for the correction.
    Karen

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Yes. If you search this forum, you'll find more information about that misnomer.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Another option no one mentioned is going to a reputable nursery and looking at their stock which may well be discounted 30 to 50%. Of course 30 % off a $100 dollar tree is a lot more that $5 bucks. But you have a better chance of getting a tree that;s been watered and cared for.

You also have a chance to buy a piece of crap for 30 to 50% off, esp rootbound crap. One thing you'll acquire over time is experience so you can make more informed choices about what you are willing to risk. Come to think of it, you can always find full priced bad plants as well.

Marie

• c2g
    13 years ago

Karen, I would recommend buying "Bringing Nature Home" by Douglas Tallamy on Amazon for $12 and reading it over the winter. It really put the importance of planting native in perspective for me.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marie & c2g - Thanks for the advice. I will look up that book.

I feel like I should clear up the fact that my land is not a wasteland with no good trees! LOL! We have maples in the front and back yard and scattered around our property. We have a beautiful hickory in the old pasture. On our property we also have lots of other hickories, maples, wild cherries (one that is at least 100 years old - not my estimate but someone more knowledgeable), oaks, aspen, black walnut and many, many more. About 1/3 of our 20 acres is wooded.
    The trees I got on clearance are ones I am willing to take the risk on. It may look like a bad risk to most of you but I am risking it with my eyes wide open and realistic expectations. If they don't work out I barely lose anything but time and I have that to spare. My lawn will still be beautiful without them and if they do survive - even if only a couple survive - it is worth my time.

This is what I ended up buying:

2 Harvest Gold crabapples
    1 Yoshino cherry
    1 Kanzan cherry
    1 Fairview Flame maple

Total cost was a bit less then $60. I hope you will wish me good luck with them but I understand everyone who thinks I'm being foolhardy. Thanks again so much for all the useful advice.
    Karen

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

ideabean (who I usually agree with) writes:
    "Another option no one mentioned is going to a reputable nursery and looking at their stock which may well be discounted 30 to 50%. "

That assumes that depot is not reputable and that there are reputable nurseries in OP's area. In my area the big box stores are the best game in town.

If you're in the business of selling plants, you're probably not going to be giving as big of discounts for trees that are otherwise in OK shape.

If you're in the busienss of selling plants until you're in the business of selling christmas trees, then you slash prices to make room for the more profitable merchandise.

The only time I see discounts at nurseries is when something "needs TLC".

OTOH, this time of year, home centers will be rolling out seasonal merchandise , need to get the plants outta the way.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Karen, I wish you good luck with your trees. I think for $60.00 you're not out much if some or all fail. I'm hoping they leaf out beautifully in the spring and bloom their heads off for you.
    I just bought 2 6 gallon potted trees, a Swamp White Oak and an American Sentry Linden from a local nursery for $50 a piece. Yes it's late in the season but we're at 65-70 daytime and 45-40 nightime temps and I'm willing to take the risk. Will I carefully explore their roots and plant 'em right, yes. You do the same.
    I've bought plants from Wally world, HD, Lowes, local nurseries and special mail orders and had about the same success rate with each.
    If you're comfortable with your purchase, don't question it now, it's done.
    I'm just glad people buy and plant and talk about trees so we can meet here and chat.
    Barb

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

I spent $1000 on plants today, mostly shrubs.
    First went to "reputable" wholesale nursery then went to Lowes. I had planned to buy everything at the first nursery but because about a third of what I needed was either not in stock or looked bad, I went to lowes knowing they had at least some of what I needed. And they did. And the stuff looked better, fresher and their retail prices were (as is often the case) cheaper than what I was paying at the first place. Another thing I got at lowes that I didn't get at the other place was a warranty. And a lot of stuff was marked way way way down. They're making deals to make room for the christmas trees. Now's the time.
    Their trays of annuals are cheaper too. I got some potted annuals for 25 cents a piece and they had some ornamental grass for $1.75 I took just about every one they had.

• heirloomtomato
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardninggrandma- sounds like you did great! I can only wish I had $1,000 to spend on plants but it just isn't in my budget. The nursery that we had around here closed up shop earlier this year and even though they had a decent reputation their plants and trees never looked any better then anywhere else to me. I do think the Home Depot took decent care of their plants (which may not be the case with all their stores) The big trees had some moss growing in the pot which I don't think would happen if they weren't watered often.
    I do wish we had more choices of places to get plants here. The Lowe's is close to an hour away. Most nurseries around here are seasonal ones for flowers and veggies in Spring. Of course there is a Wal-Mart (isn't there everywhere!) Good luck with all your purchases.
    We got snow last night - wet and heavy but it will be gone by tomorrow and I plan on getting the trees in the ground Monday.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

Well the plants I got were for a landscaping job, not for my own yard.
    We do have some issues in my area with sourcing plants. It is really a lot more convenient, even if it costs more money to buy them at retail garden centers.

I just had a discussion with another landscaper that I hire from time to time to do my installations about this. I asked what he's paying in a neighboring city. He showed me a price list. I showed him my lowes receipt. He was in disbelief.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

points taken on lowes or hd, ken and ggma
    You know what? I'm too damned lazy to go up to Lowes or HD on the off chance they might have what I want. For some reason, I am willing to go a local nursery on the chance they might have what I want. I think I may have a snobby gene in my makeup. Or maybe cause for the first time in decades my husband and I are both working fulltime, and the money is burning a hole in my pocket! (NOT!)

REally folks,
    would you find a butterflies magnolia or fringe tree at HD. I know ego48/george get great buys at HD. I just can't force myself to go there and deal with all those unlabled and unpriced plants. Maybe I do, for once, have a bit more money than time in my life right now.

BTW, I do have three decent nurseries within 20 minutes of my house. And you're right, the ones that sell xmas trees do slash and burn prices right now.

Best,
    Marie

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

"would you find a butterflies magnolia or fringe tree at HD."

No.
    Then again I won't find that at the mom and pop nurseries or even the regional multi-location carden center.

You *used* to be able to find those things at the nurseries but those days are gone.

At least by me.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

gg, where are you located?