SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tosser_gw

Beware Trudi and Her Seeds...

tosser
16 years ago

I first learned of WS late last year in a newspaper article. There was a link to Trudi's WS site and of course I clicked on it and saw the "Free Seeds" and was very excited by it all and of course begged for the seeds and of course she sent them and one was a packet of five Chadwick Cherry Tomato seeds and, since I'd never heard of those before, well, of course I sowed all five and of course all five sprouted and then, of course, I planted them all.

If I lived in a normal place with normal, predictable summer weather that might've been the end of the story but I don't - I live in the Mississippi Valley, and for three months of the year the weather can be rainforest-like. For instance: Thursday night I measured 5 1/4" of rain, and Friday night brought another 2 3/4" (used 2 rain gauges and averaged them).

I swear that the corn's grown a foot since last week, but that's nothing compared to those wildly-out-of-control Chadwick Cherries! Seemingly overnight they've morphed from pleasant, perfectly-polite plants into ravenous, vining monsters that've begun creeping, crawling, and climbing off their stakes, determinedly lunging towards their equally-jungly corn brothers & sisters four feet away across the fence. I fear for the safety of the small animals and birds that may get too close to them - these maniacs have gone crackers!

It looks as if these leviathans currently have about 73,417 blossoms (this is just what I can see from the kitchen window, since I'm kind of scared to actually go out there). What does a person do with that many cherry tomatoes?

To make matters even worse, the forecast is calling for temps in the 90s this week with high dewpoints. Steamy. Tropical. The tomatoes & corn will love it. *gulp* I've read that Chadwicks grow about 6' high, and I guess this is true. It'd be more accurate, however, to state that sure, they grow to 6', right before they hit 7', 8', 9', etc!

All the seeds I got from Trudi & wintersowed are flourishing, but, even though I've had tomatoes "get away" from me before, never - never - have I seen such scary-fast growth! They're out there right now, you know, probably grumbling about my doddering attempt at tying them up yesterday. I hope they aren't too mad...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals