SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abendwolke

tree ID, please

abendwolke
16 years ago

Hello,

I would be greatful for any ideas to what kind of tree this is. It grows in Orlando, Florida on a corporate property maintained by a lawn service that of course has no idea:

{{gwi:478183}}

{{gwi:478184}}

thank you,

Evelyn

Comments (35)

• hazelmn
    16 years ago

Does it have catkins?

Looks to be from the Hornbeam / Hop Hornbeam / Birch family.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Weekend Arborist

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks hazelmn, it is not a birch it doesn't have the characteristic bark and birches don't have the leaves set like a hand :-/ and a hornbeam has, I believe, more prominent indention lines on the leaves. Frustrating it is!

Evelyn
    PS: would you be able to give me tips on propagating? I want to cut a branch and try rooting it, think spring would be the correct time? softwood? hardwood? any tips are welcome

• Related Discussions

I'd like a tree ID please

Q

Comments (15)
    "But no one has told me what the difference is between Prunus laurocerasus and Prunus caroliniana. No such clarification was posted. My original question was about identification of a tree. Is there some reason to believe that I have one, rather than the other? " It was properly identified by botanical name by Embothrium. Prior to that, just one of many common names was used for ID however that common name is often applied to both species. Prunus caroliniana is a native species that includes Texas as part of its natural range. It would be very unusual for Prunus laurocerasus to pop up spontaneously in your area but entirely natural for P. caroliniana to do so. It is also more tree-like in habit than Prunus laurocerasus, which is most often grown as a large shrub with no discernible trunk and the leaves present somewhat differently (smooth margins for one and slight serration for the other). As to the negative attributes you list, other than the propensity for P. laurocerasus being invasive in specific areas, they are just not serious enough to worry about.
    ...See More

Help with tree ID please

Q

Comments (7)
    Try showing it from the side instead of the top. And including a shot where the entire growth habit is visible. In the meantime I continue to see a similarity to Prunus caroliniana.
    ...See More

Palm tree ID please (container-based)

Q

Comments (3)
    OK. It isn’t a palm tree. It’s a Yucca. I don’t know them at all well but compare with Y elephantipes.
    ...See More

Tree ID, please

Q

Comments (4)
    the first part of that name looks more like a dinosaur name.. lol ...
    ...See More
  • quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

We have to know what it is first but you can try different types of cuttings and some rooting hormone and see what happens.
    I want to say linden. I want to say hornbeam, I want to say birch or even poplar.
    It looks so native but is most likely an exotic since nobody can figure out what it is. Down in Florida there are thousands upon thousands of exotic plants from all over the world, it's anybody's guess.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    16 years ago

Whenever you come across trees that you suspect may be grown outside the USA as well,

Try TreeWorld.info - Australians and US users there. The Californians seem to have a fair collection too. See link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree World Tree Forums

• kman04
    16 years ago

I'd say it looks like something in the Araliaceae family (Ginseng Family) or possibly the Bignoniaceae (Trumpet Creeper Family)based on the palmate compound leaves. I can't tell if the leaves are alternate or opposite. If you could find any remnants of flowers and/or fruit, that could narrow it down some more. If it's in the Bignoniaceae family, it will have showy flowers at some time of year in case you've ever seen flowers on it.

• saccharum
    16 years ago

This one has been bothering me for a while, because I have no clue what it is. I was just at Sea World with my family today, and I saw it all over the place there. If no one has figured it out by Tuesday, I'll ask one of the plant taxonomists at work.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Maybe since Sea World is open today somebody can ask them if somebody is around in the tree dept. Was there a certain location at the park that you saw them?

• saccharum
    16 years ago

I couldn't tell you a specific location, but it was scattered throughout. I was tempted to take a twig home with me, but I chickened out.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yeah if you get caught doing that, they feed ya to Shamu. :-)

I searched and searched for tree farms in that area that post their inventory online and only found two. Nothing out of the ordinary. Except one of them had japanese cedars and I was surprised to see that.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Maybe since Sea World is open today somebody can ask them if somebody is around in the tree dept"

They have a tree department???

I'd bet they contract out their grounds management and don't have the faintest clue what trees they have growing . . . seeing as trees don't have fins and can't swim!

Resin

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

>I'd bet they contract out their grounds management and don't have the faintest clue what trees they have growing . . . seeing as trees don't have fins and can't swim!

Here is a link that might be useful: HORTICULTURIST I - SeaWorld Orlando - Orlando, FL : Indeed.com

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

PR, Sea World is one of the mammoth theme parks. I would be really surprised if the didn't have their own trained gardeners and landscapers and groundskeepers. It's not like an office park where maybe they come by once every week or two. Calling it a tree dept was just to abbreviate all that.

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

quirky, it doesn't seem to make sense for a landscape company to plant an exotic unusual tree on a corporate lot. of course if those trees are all over SeaWorld that should make it somewhat easier to ID it. Saccharum, I am eagerly awaiting Tuesday :-)
    I checked on Seaworld website, of course there is nowhere info on their botanical stuff.

Evelyn

• pineresin
    16 years ago

OK! I thought they were just a big aquarium that might have some fairly inconsequential grounds planting as a minor surround, rather than anything special in its own right.

The foliage matches Tabebuia fairly well, tho' I'm not familiar with the genus so can't say for sure.

Resin

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Well then that's likely to be what it is, as this is a favorite flowering tree in suitable climates - just the kind of thing they would be likely to have at a place like Sea World.

You can see they are doing flashy plantings right in the picture put up here, look at the landscaping around the tree shown.

The San Diego Zoo also features plants as well as animals.

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tabebuja impetiginosa .... still, all images I find of the leaves don't show them with toothed edging.

Thanks again for all your help,

Evelyn

• kman04
    16 years ago

I thought Tabebuia, but the leaves on most Tabebui sps. aren't toothed at all. Also, most all Tabebuia sps. are deciduous(mostly summer deciduous) and flower during their leafless period with extraordinarily showy flowers (mostly yellow, rarely pink) and I would of thought that would be noticed. But there is at least a couple of species of Tabebuia which have the toothed leaflets like in the photo which is Tabebuia serratifolia and Tabebuia impetiginosa. Easiest way to tell these 2 apart is, T. serratifolia has yellow flowers, while T. impetiginosa has pink flowers.

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tabebujas are very large trees, I read they grow up to 150 feet (ok, maybe not in Orlando), the tree I photographed just does not look like it would grow 'up' to such a huge size. The overall form reminds me more of a Crape Myrtle.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

It's not tabebuia. Please try again.

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This tree is driving me insane!

today is Tuesday... I am hoping saccharum didn't forget saying: 'I'll ask one of the plant taxonomists at work.'

• saccharum
    16 years ago

I didn't forget, folks... :-)

Unfortunately, it didn't ring a bell for the taxonomist I was able to find this morning, at least not from the picture. She did suggest Tabebuia, but she couldn't think of any species with serrated margins that would be a good match otherwise. We went through the herbarium specimens for that genus, and didn't find anything even close. She suggested she could do some more searching, but I couldn't ask her to do that based on a photo.

Our senior botanist wasn't in, though, and I'll try him next. He's amazing.

I'm kicking myself for not clipping a twig at Sea World, but I was there with my wife and 6-year-old. They're pretty tolerant of my tree interests, but if I'd gotten scolded by the staff there, I'd never have heard the end of it.

Abendwolke, if you are able to get a twig with foliage from your tree (preferably one that shows leaf arrangement, and intact buds if any are present), the botanist I spoke to is interested to see it. I have no doubt they'd be able to key it out from a sample. It might even make it into the herbarium, if they don't have it already. Email me through website (click on my name above), and I'll send you my work address.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

>They're pretty tolerant of my tree interests, but if I'd gotten scolded by the staff there, I'd never have heard the end of itClear it with them beforehand, maybe even ending up with one of them clipping a piece for you - thereby making it "legitimate".

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"maybe even ending up with one of them clipping a piece for you"

Then you'd probably end up having to carry a huge big branch around with you ;-)

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Afraid to get caught pulling some leaves off a tree?!

It's not like you're lifting a few items from the souvenir shop.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

It's likely a tree in the Genus Tabebuia, they are planted for their spectacular flowers. I did search in the genus Tabebuia before anyone posted but all I found was smooth leaflets like most others did also.

I did recently find some tooth pictures of Pink Lapacho below, I guess the species can have toothed or smooth edge leaflets.

Here is some toothed Pink Lapacho (Tabebuia impetiginosa):

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:478181}}

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saccharum, I have sent you a message through gardenweb....

Treeguy, the leaves on your picture are toothed, and so my muystery tree is a tabebuia aferall? still the overall tree form doesn't seem like one.

I am willing to 'steal' a branch,.... I am blonde, I will get away with it, "biggrin*

• saccharum
    16 years ago

Abendwolke, for some reason the email hasn't reached me. I'll try sending you my contact info through the website, instead. If that doesn't work, my work email (hopefully altered enough to avoid attracting the spambots) is: eickwoj AT doacs DOT state DOT fl DOT us

I haven't ruled Tabebuia out myself, but even the serrate-margined examples I've seen were quite different from this tree.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

What might make it even more likely to be in the Genus Tabebuia is because in the picture below (if you look very close) you can see little "joints" below each leaflet just like in abendwolke's picture. I also found a picture of a Tabebuia in a tropical page that had wider leaflets and bigger teeth more like abendwolke's picture but Gardenweb won't allow the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:478181}}

• abendwolke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, I have sent off a branch this morning, saccharum, you should have it by tomorrow, hopefully.

And hopefully the name of this tree will be known soon.

Evelyn

• saccharum
    16 years ago

Hey folks,

I got the sample from Abendwolke, and brought it to the botanists. They said it was definitely Tabebuia sp., based on the leaf arrangement and some characteristics on the underside of the leaflets (visible under a microscope). As far as the species goes, they were reluctant to even try to say without being able to see the flowers - apparently the Tabebuia identification keys require the inflorescence.

However, with it here in front of me, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think Treeguy123 is the one that got it right - I think it's T. impetiginosa. See {{gwi:478182}} for that species, and the drawings in this fact sheet (.pdf) for comparison. Leaflets look right, form looks right, etc.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

That one was listed at one of the nurseries websites that I checked but I guess I overlooked it. Then when someone suggested it, I dismissed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's what it looks like in a big container

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

It has a leaf arrangement like that of a Schefflera, tho obviously its not that. Could be something in the Legume family(Fabiaceae) or Bignoniaceae.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Greenlarry,

Bit late there! . . . it's been confirmed as Tabebuia (which is in Bignoniaceae, so your last one is on target ;-)

Resin

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Ah, I didnt read all the posts, I just jumped in as I was curious to what it was.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    16 years ago

You guys are marvelous at this tree ID - I'm going to coerce you for help someday !!

M.D. Vaden of Oregon

Turf to Trees