SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_juniper

bulbs don't like new medium?

erin_juniper
15 years ago

Hey all,

I made up a mix of medium very much like the one Jodi has advocated and transfered my seedlings and bulbs into it.

Here's the exact mix break-down:

5 parts bark fines (Tahoe Red Fir)

1 part perlite

2 parts Schultz "Potting soil Plus"

2 tsp. lime

1/2 cup all purpose fertilizer

1 cup bone meal

Many of the seedlings lost leaves and one of my bulbs has 2 leaves which are turning yellow. My bonsai doesn't seem to be happy in it either.

{{gwi:10167}}

{{gwi:10168}}

The seedlings have grown new leaves and the bulb has a baby leave coming in so I don't think they are in great danger but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about this.

I suspect a couple possible reasons:

The bark fines were decorative bark for playgrounds and walkways. Maybe this bark is treated or somehow not good for the plants? The garden center didn't have any other kind of bark.

or, the seedlings are just naturally losing leaves as a result of being transplanted after a year in their seedling mix, same with the bonsai.

The bulb from the pics above had 5 leaves before the change and these are the remaining two. It bloomed this year, btw, if that makes a difference.

I just want to know if there is something wrong with my mix before I go and use it again.

PS they get lots of light from compact flourescents (14hrs/ day) plus a big window. They are all in proper pots with drainage.

Thanks guys!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions