14 years ago

Here's a few of my tomato seedlings...'Cherokee Green' and 'Black Plum'

{{gwi:398163}}

{{gwi:398164}}

Romaine Lettuce:

{{gwi:398165}}

Rhubarb:

{{gwi:398166}}

Kohlrabi 'Early Purple Vienna' and a close up of a plant. It is my first year growing these. I'm also growing 'White Vienna' in different bed. Can't wait to taste :)

{{gwi:398167}}

{{gwi:398168}}

Collard 'Vates'

{{gwi:398169}}

Carrot 'Purple Dragon'...just planted earlier last week:

{{gwi:398170}}

The seed for this Acorn Squash came from store bought...who knows what I'll get? Hopefully something yummy :O

{{gwi:398171}}

Here are seedlings still needing planting out...

Nicotiana alata (evening blooming white)has a few just planted out...looking for space to plant the rest!

{{gwi:398172}}

Marigold

{{gwi:398173}}

Helenium (red); I drastically thinned this container out to just 3. I had upwards of 30 seedlings to start in this small container :O

{{gwi:398174}}

One single Hibiscus seedling from 'Moy Grande'. The first few suffered frost damage and died...this one was a little older and survived to grow new leaves. I'll be potting it up to grow on more before planting out in fall as I did with last years Disco Bell and TX Star.

{{gwi:398175}}

Celosia seedlings...I sowed 'Pink Candle' and a C. plumosa (burgundy), but couldn't tell you who is who!

{{gwi:398176}}

Brussels Sprouts 'Long Island Improved'

{{gwi:398177}}

Asclepias tuberosa..also thinned out quite a bit. Started out with about 15 seedlings. I sure hope this one doesn't spread like Common Milkweed. I spent almost an entire afternoon digging and pulling out the mother plant and runners...some were as far away as 10' from the mother!! I thought I got it all, but found a few more shoots already 8" high yesterday...ugh!! The first 3 years were well behaved...must be very slow to run. It did take 3 years to flower! I have A. incarnata to plant as well.

{{gwi:398178}}

Yvonne's Salvia...was indoors sown this year. I planted 4 out in a row behind last years Hibiscus which btw are just breaking thru the surface...yeah they lived :)) That is a Schizanthus in the picture:

{{gwi:398179}}

Okra 'Clemson Spineless' was also one started indoors this year. This year am keeping the black plastic mulch down the entire season; the last 2 years I've tried and failed this crop! I believe my problem was:

A) planted to soon and believe cold stunted them/set back.

B) removed black plastic and replaced with straw..soil temps likely were cooled rather than warmed with straw.

These and the Brussels Sprouts get planted today.

{{gwi:398180}}

Here is the new bed I've been working on. It's mostly quack grass and I have to turn sod and yank all rhizome pieces to prevent re-infestation. Not to mention there are a LOT of rocks! See the rocks laid out as stepping stones...yeah they were in the soil!! I have about 12 more feet to dig up. Picture is from May 26th

{{gwi:398181}}

Part of the NW-NE Strip...have poppies coming up in the road outside of the bed and am laying black plastic down to kill weeds around the perimeter where it's bad. This bed is only 20' across from a neglected plot of ground full of weeds, some wild roses and Golden Rod...

{{gwi:398183}}

Comments (14)

Sponsored