SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevied_gw

Azalea Selection Driving me BATTY!

stevied
18 years ago

You see doc, the thing is, all we wanted was an Azalea that would grow to about 2.5 - 3.0 ft. with either a white or light pink bloom.

We identified an Encore azalea on their website that looked like it would fit the bill - the Encore Autumn Angel. Their website says it has a white bloom and grows to 3 feet in height with a 3-foot spread. We even found a nursery (75 miles from our home) that carried them. We went to the nursery on Saturaday only to find the tag on the plants said it grows to 4.5 ft. in height. So we came home empty-handed. It pretty much took all day to go to the nursery and then come home.

Next, I went to another nursery which carried a Rutherford Madonna Azalea. The sign posted in front of them stated they grew to 3 feet, so I bought them. However, after driving down the road a bit, I noticed a tag on one of the azaleas which stated it grew to 4 feet. I immediately went back to the nursery. They felt the plant tag was in error and that in only grew to about 2.5 feet, just like a Red Ruffle. They had another azalea, called an Aaron, which was identified by the sign in front of them as growing to 3 feet. However, another person/salesman at the nursery said that the both the Madonnas and the Aarons will grow to 4 feet if I didn't trim them once in awhile.

I did a Google search and found information suggesting the Madonnas would grow to a mazimum height of somewhere between 2 - 4 feet. I couldn't find any information about the Aaron azalea. I exchanged the Madonnas for the Aarons, hoping that they will grow no higher than 3 feet, as indicated by the sign at the nursery.

One of the salesmen at the nursery indicated that they post on their signs the information which is provided to them by the wholesale nursery they buy from.

What are the chances that my newly acquired Aaron azaleas will grow no higher than 3 feet, as indicated on their sign? Has anyone ever heard of these azaleas?

This is really beginning to bug me....

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!