SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowered_corners

Garden feet #2

flowered-corners
16 years ago

I use peroxide for both feet and hands, I just started using it cleans wonderful,Cheap too.Yesterday I soaked my feet in about an inch while I looked for seeds to fall plant.Did a great job,even around the nails.I have lots of little cuts from gardening I figure not only clean but antiseptic can't beat that!

Comments (31)

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Er....don't you all wear shoes when you garden? I don't understand this "garden feet" thing. Or hands - I pull on gloves! I have a couple different ones for different jobs. I wear the rubbery ones for planting out and weeding cause I have more control. I wear the big ol' leather ones for hoisting blocks and bricks and sacks of stuff. They help me avoid blisters and such.

But my feet? Sneakers. Nice, solid Keds...I'd wear socks too but it's too hot. What am I missing here?

• Pamela Church
    16 years ago

I always have sturdy shoes on as well, and gloves most of the time. When I was a kid, we went shoeless at home after May 1 (a date of great celebration when we could go "barefoot" outside), but my current home was built on the trash pile of an old plantation house, so I'm constantly finding broken glass, pottery, and metal, and I'd prefer NOT to find those with my feet or hands. Add fireants which seem to move in very quickly and stay hidden until you either step on them or pull a weed near them, and you make sure to stay protected. I miss going barefoot.

• Related Discussions

sweet corn tasseling with the plants only about 2-4 feet tall

Q

Comments (18)
    This is my first attempt at corn. My stalks on average are about 6 feet with the diameter of the stalks only about around as a quarter. Every stalk has an ear of corn, but when feeling them they are not fully formed. I pulled one yesterday and it was sweet, yet not fully formed and of course small. About 3 weeks ago I searched the internet to find out when corn is ready to harvest. One site said when the silk turns brown and the corn starts pulling or angling away from the stalk. Mine are doing that and some of the husks are now browning. They get plenty of water and sun so based on what I've read here, it was my error not to fertilize more. I'm thinking I should go ahead and harvest what I have. I don't think I'm going to get anymore and I don't want what I have to rot. What say you folks?
    ...See More

The weed is from mars it grew 2-3 feet in 2 weeks

Q

Comments (7)
    Pictures Roots: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.45.32.jpg Plant? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.45.44.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.45.54.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.46.03.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.46.08.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4134738/Monster%20weed/2010-05-17%2018.46.15.jpg
    ...See More

HAVE: Corylus cornuta (native hazelnut) 1.5-2 feet

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm doing spring cleaning and Feng Shui and tough love (with myself) and every other process and/or cliche that involves getting rid of TOO MUCH STUFF. In the garden, one of those things is my native hazelnut. (Stay tuned for more.) I can get you an exact measurement if you want. Please see my trade list for stuff I want, but feel free to be creative.
    ...See More

Small plants, never grow taller then 2-3 feet.

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Miriah. You never mention what type of hydrangeas they are? Do they die back in the winter at all?
    ...See More
  • trudi_d
    16 years ago

I wear flip flops which protect your soles just fine, but you get a grunge strip around the edge of your foot that's a beast to scrub off.

• donn_
    16 years ago

I wear waterproof hiking boots, with steel toes and steel arches. They're the just-over-ankle models, with lots of ankle support/padding. How in blazes can you work a spade, or a lawnmower without proper shoes?

I also wear gloves, and I have a wide variety of them, for different purposes. My new favorites are Atlas 370 nitrile coated garden gloves. Fantastic invention. Tougher than the cheaper latex coated versions, and have incredible dexterity and feel. My other favorite gloves are IronClad Framers, with thumb, index and middle fingers open, and tons of protective layers and padding.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

I wear sturdy footwear too. I wouldn't do without.

I guess it might depend on where you are. I do remember going flipflop when I lived in the city and just had small gardens, but here I don't dare walk off the deck barefeet or with anything but my super sneakers.

A couple of years ago I went to get leaf mold in one of my piles and stepped into a hornet's nest. Most of them are underground here. Had I not been wearing proper footwear, I would have had more than the 16 stings on my legs and would not have been able to walk for a few days.

As for my hands, I like to feel the dirt. There's just something about it...

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Crocs on my feet and naked hands. At the end of plantout season, I get a manicure and pedicure. It's been delayed because of the unseasonal weather we have been having and I am feeling cranky about that.

• flowered-corners
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are you kidding me steel toes to garden, that is some serious gardening going on at your place.I go bare foot no gloves both drive me crazy.But this is just weeding,planting out watering.If I were to do a new bed or some other big thing that would be different.

• cinda66
    16 years ago

flowered-corners
    lol you know MEN usually have issues about their feet. It's like they're scared to let anyone see their toes. It might expose their soul or something like that.
    Me, I'm a barefoot girl in the summer.

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

I may give peroxide a try. It is inexpensive and certainly couldn't hurt my feet. Did it noticeably lighten your skin?

Most often, I wear flip flops or croc-style shoes, which protect my soles, but still end up with dirt over most of my feet. I like to go barefoot from time to time as well. If I get out my pickaxe, I try to remember to wear sneakers though :)

I own garden gloves, but don't use them most of the time. There's something about playing in the dirt that's just fun.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I wear very good quality sneakers to garden (have bad feet so also have good shoes!) but it's amazing how quickly they can get wet. So despite the heavy sneakers and thick socks, my feet do always get dirty. I really need to get a good pair of work shoes, but I'm too cheap, lol! Even my gloves - the rubber coating on the fingers wears thin or cracks, and sure enough, I have dirt under my fingernails, even with wearing gloves.

Last month I won a basket with bath soaps, etc. at a raffle at my son's hockey banquet, and there was a foot care package in it - soaking salts, a footscrub lotion and brush, and moisturizer. One night I decided to give it a try - amazing what spending a little time on oneself can do, lol! My feet hadn't looked - or felt - that good in goodness knows how long, and better yet, they stayed that way for quite a while. Now if I only had more time to myself...

:)
    Dee

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

If I'm just watering I wear flip-flops. They're cooler and I can squirt my feet and legs to cool off. Well, in this weather, sometimes the rest of me too. If I'm planting and digging and composting and doing heavy work with shovels and forks, I wear my heavy, designated garden sneakers. In fact, I have 2 pairs of shoes to change when they get wet and/or muddy. I also have a pair of LandsEnd winter mocs, waterproof and heavy, for mud. I can just squirt them with a hose.

Karen

• donn_
    16 years ago

I don't have time to be changing my footwear to suit the activity. I wear the hiking boots from 5am to 7pm, and change to Teva clogs. With the boots, I can walk through 6" of mud and just hose them off when I'm done. The steel toe helps me kick stuff out of my way, or into place, and the steel shanks support my full weight when I'm dancing on the nursery spade. I garden and/or fish at least 14 hours a day, and need the support the boots provide.

• flowered-corners
    Original Author
    16 years ago

don't get me wrong, i do believe boots have there place.as a working lady I manage a maintenance team, we change sinks and tubs lift heavy furniture and such.I climb a ladder alot and it is not in my bare feet! However for me gardening is a pleasure not a job.I like to feel relaxed and bare footin' it is.I have been wearing hospital gloves this year some.I hate gloves for planting out and such.I would never have any babies if I tried to do them with gloves.but with the latex I can feel what I am doing.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I was just discussing yesterday with someone whether I should try those latex gloves for gardening. I hate wearing gloves, especially for things like transplanting ande deadheading. I have yet to find a pair of gloves that I really like.

donn, I agree changing shoes is a PITA. And I wear orthotics, so I have to not only change shoes, but take the orthotics out of one pair of shoes and put them in another - gets annoying when it happens several times a day. Oh, to be able to garden 14 hours a day (she says staring off into space and her eyes glazing over...)

:)
    Dee

• SusanC
    16 years ago

I wear hiking boots but can't stand to wear gloves. -The few times I've tried, they have mysteriously disappeared from my hands after a few minutes...

P.S. I've read that, if you are prone to foot or toenail fungus, you should avoid getting your feet dirty as these fungi can be soil-borne.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

I'm a flip-flop wearer too unless I'm doing some type of hard labor like digging a new area.

Vera

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Yep, flip flops & knock off Crocs for just roaming around. I do have some nifty rubber boots I got for my birthday but I only wear them when I need to shovel, turn compost or weed whack. Gloves only for lifting/collecting rocks or shoveling.

I have a bit of perma dirt on my heels and fingers, hubs calls me Pigpen.

• moonphase
    16 years ago

I wear flip flops too.I have several pairs lined up in the carport.I take them off when I come in and if they are dirty,I drop them into the washer.I wear gloves for digging but planting out,off comes the gloves.I go for comfort.I also have to wear visors or my big floppy straw hat over a sweat band.Can't stand to sweat..lol
    moonphase

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I scrub my flip flops in the sink with a brush and place them out on the back steps. The next morning I walk out of the kitchen barefoot and step into my flip-flops and off to the garden I go. I have a few durable pairs. Hubs got me some last month at BJs and they're quite nice wiht cloth straps--I don't get that blister inbetween my toes. I've also got something more durable called pool sandals--just a fancy name for flip-flops made from firmer plastic.

I agree about the head sweat--wow is that annoying. Liz and I both wear bandanas She a bit serious about them, I do get them for her for rewards for good behavior, and when I come home from the store with a new one for her she's all attention and want it out on NOW. I wear one too, but mines around my forehead and hers is above her collar. Last weekend I had forgtten my shades when we went to the Bronx botanical garden so Hubs bought me a BBG baseballcap--the only make them in winter weight (DUH!) so my head feels like its roasting. Sigh. So the flip-flops, at least, keep my tootsies cool. I HATE HOT FEET!

• carrie630
    16 years ago

I don't think I could ever go out into my gardens without socks and shoes/sneakers. My best working shoes are sketchers - they are like small hiking boots. I've noticed that my back feels so much better when I wear really good shoes. Also, in case of red ants, I feel safer with socks and a heavier shoe.

Carrie

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Sneakers - definitely sneakers. Very expensive sneakers since I am training for a pair of permanent orthotics. Feels funny going barefoot in the garden. I also like latex gloves for flexibility. They rip easily, but by then my hands are used to dirt.

I also wear a wide rim hat. This is my favorite hat. It keeps my face in the shade for the most part of the day. Very nice ventilation too since the hat does not sit right on top of your head:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:396075}}

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

widebrim....

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I had to tippy toe around some seedlings today to prune back an aggressive dogwood bush. I was in bare feet..I find I'm much less likely to step on something, and I was in my "best" i.e. well groomed bed. I use the closed toe crocs (no holes) most of the time, keeps the dirt out.

I bought a dollar store spin toothbrush, and used it for my home-grown pedicure. Amazing how it cleaned up under the nails and the cuticles. (I also didn't have to reach so far down ;o)..amazing how your feet get further away from your hands as you age!).

Just be sure to pack the brush away with the nail polish & pumice stone! Wouldn't want it to be used for anything else!

• shellva
    16 years ago

LOL Wendy!

Reef flip-flops, cheap pair of cloth gloves from Lowes, white, old lady, golfing sun visor from Walmart along with J-Lo/Brittney Spears type sunglasses.... Wow, what a visual I must be painting here!

All you flip-flop wearers...any of you have the bright, white strip going across the top of your foot? I get teased all summer about mine. Even strangers have been known to chime in on my tootsie tan line!

• lynnem
    16 years ago

I wear the rubber, lines slip-ons that I get from our farm store, during the wet mornings, can't stand wet feet. Then, when it dries, I slip on some type of slide-on sandels, protects the bottom of my feet, but I still stay cool.

I don't like sneakers, because I'm constantly in and out of the house, and don't want to track the dirt in, so the shoes go off before I come in. Slip-ons make this much easier.

• northforker
    16 years ago

Wendy - that toothbrush idea is brilliant! Next time I am at a discount store I am going to pick one up. Have you tried it on fingernails (I hate wearing gloves)?

Nancy

• drippy
    16 years ago

I hate hot feet, too, Trudi - but my partly wooded yard backing up to the woods is a deer tick breeding ground here. I wear sneakers, socks, and long pants in the garden always. If I won't die of heat, I wear a long-sleeved shirt, too. Even so, I do a complete tick check when I come in.

Besides the yard, every place else in the summer, it's sandals for me.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

It's a hot head that I can't tolerate. I try daily to wear a hat or visor while garden but very quickly abandon it because I'm too hot! Even just a visor I find makes me hot and my hair sweaty and wet.

Karen

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Karen, you need a hat like mine.
    These are my favorite gardening hats. Greatest ventilation ever:

The top is a bit worn already but keeps me protected in the mid day sun:
    {{gwi:333066}}

The underside:
    {{gwi:333067}}

Another favorite. This one really keeps the sun off my face:
    {{gwi:333064}}

The underside is cleverly made so it is very well ventilated just like the one above:
    {{gwi:333065}}

I also use a beach umbrella around my garden. Works pretty well.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

P,

Where did you get those hats? Is there an online link?

In the past I've gotten a rash when my sweat interacts with the bamboo/straw, I got a really bad rash from a straw hat a long time ago--I erupted in aband of pimples across my forehead that looked like a purple bandana ;-( So, if these are okay for you then maybe I will try them, the "lampshade" one looks really fablulous.

• kek19
    16 years ago

crocs (well a mock version) here too. I prefer barefoot, but since we have more weeds that grass yet, it's a bit prickly on the feet. but w/ this wonderful rain, I've been able to go bare foot!! No gloves or hats either.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus