SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

late blooming dogwood that honeybees love

cousinfloyd
9 years ago

A friend of mine has some trees that were pretty obviously planted in his yard by a previous owner that bloomed in July or August and that he said the honeybees really loved. He lives in the North Carolina foothills (NW Wilkes County) and I live about an hour east in the Piedmont, so my location is a little different, but I'm wondering about growing some of the same trees here. I'm a beekeeper, and trees that yield nectar late in the year when the major nectar sources all dry up are particularly interesting to me. I didn't see the tree in bloom, but the friend didn't realize it was a dogwood, so the bloom apparently isn't similar. The fruit is whitish and in clusters that at first made me think it might be a viburnum (kind of like a carrot or elderberry flower.) I'm assuming based on photos of similar fruit clusters I saw on the internet that it's a dogwood, though. Anyone have any guesses what species it might be? Is there a type of dogwood with whitish fruits that's commonly planted as an ornamental in zone 7a North Carolina? I want to say his trees were 15' tall or better, but I don't remember exactly.

Comments (8)