SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

temperatures at which leaves freeze of different trees

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

This morning, woke up to a 23 degree freeze. Our first "official" freeze was late, only last week and we hit 30, which was enough to knock out annuals but didn't affect much else.

This morning, it appears my seedling Metasequoias (started this April), which were only just starting to show fall color, will probably defoliate as the foliage is now limp with the sun hitting them. Except the one closest to the house (they're in containers) which looks fine. Oddly, the big Meta across the street, already in full color, so far looks OK, but it will be easier to tell later today as temps warm up more. Obviously the trees are fine, I just mean the foliage.

My oak leaves appear unscathed so far, and in my past experience a freeze to the low 20s is what it takes to singe the foliage of deciduous oaks in fall.

Is there any sort of chart that shows the temperatures in both spring and fall at which various trees show leaf damage?

My experiences are as such:

Oaks - in spring, emerging oak foliage can be damaged by upper 20s if it's below freezing all night, but in fall they can take as cold as 20 without much damage, especially if already turned color.

Maples - Fairly sensitive in spring, mid-upper 20s will do the leaves in. In fall hard to tell - rubrums can singe easily but saccharums and platanoides seems less sensitive to freezes (although the majority of saccharums are bare before we hit hard freezes here most years). Palmatum and other small maples seem to be intermediate. I've heard that truncatum leaves can take some ridiculous freezes without damage.

Aesculus - VERY freeze tolerant. I had an A. glabra in Ohio in FULL LEAF tolerate 18 degrees with zero visible damage. In fall they're always bare before the first hard frost even if they don't get scorch.

Catalpa - freeze sensitive. First official freeze, even if only down to 31-32 degrees, usually singes them. Much colder kills leaves entirely. Not so sure for spring since they leaf out late-ish. Same is true for the similar looking but unrelated Paulownia, but Paulownia is probably even a bit more sensitive.

Metasequoia - pretty senstive both spring and fall. I've seen a 28 degree freeze damage emerging foliage fairly severely, but I've also seen them survive 25, it probably has to do with duration of cold and wind. In fall it seems similar.

The worst fall freeze I saw as far as affecting fall foliage was in Akron, OH in 1991. Early November, oaks especially but other trees were still green, many other trees at peak or just past peak. Low of 13 degrees ended it all. It seems that it took almost to Christmas for the dead, crispy, and in many cases, still green leaves to fall from the trees.

Any input?

Comments (13)