SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
java_j

Major Surgery on Samba

java_j
15 years ago

My two replacement bulbs arrived from EasyToGrow. One seems to be OK. The other, Samba, has major problems.

Here is what I found under the layer of dried skin.

{{gwi:386758}}

I started peeling away more layers to find out how deep it went. I got down so far the I could easily see what was supposed to be the bloom.

{{gwi:386759}}

Here is a close up. You can see that the rot has affected the base of the scape.

{{gwi:386760}}

It seemed like there was no choice but to remove the would-be bloom. Even if there had not been rot on it, I doubt that it could live after being exposed.

{{gwi:386761}}

The dark area on the basal plate felt very soft. I cut out as much as I could. Here is what is left.

{{gwi:386762}}

There still seems to be some green. I think that means that there may be hope for the bulb, if not for the bloom.

I have dusted it with sulfur. I did not think I should wait for the ordered Captan to arrive.

Considering the extent of the surgery, do folks think it best to pot it in vermiculite with just the basal plate covered?

Since I had to remove some of the basal plate, do you think I can safely leave the top part above the cut?

So far, or the 6 sale bulbs I received (4 original, 2 replacements), 3 have problems. I think Papillio will survive, I don't have much hope for Estella. Who knows about Samba.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions