SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btbeme

Hard freeze - trees damaged?

btbeme
17 years ago

I live on the outskirts of Chandler and have been keeping an eye on the temps overnight - it looks like we are in for another hard freeze tonight, maybe down to the low 20's. While a lot of my plants have definitely suffered (they went a night without covering), I am much more concerned about the trees in my yard.

I have planted new trees in the last 9 months, so they should be well-rooted. They are well watered as well, and have been doing well until the frosts and freezes we are experiencing:

- ficus trees have been "topped" by the cold, and now the whole canopy is turning brown and crispy. I am covering as best I can, but cold is still hammering them.

- Jacarandas are essentially naked of leaves. Cannot cover due to height.

- small citrus trees are getting yellow and brown leaves. Covered as best I can.

- Brazilian Pepper trees seem OK, but I would expect that they will freeze hard tonight - too large to cover

What can I expect if the temps get down to the low 20's tonight and tomorrow night? What experience do the readers have regarding these temps and tree survival? Any tips on helping recovery when it warms up? I have thousands of dollars invested here and am just sick about the prospect of replacing them...

Comments (5)