SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponyexpress_1

Some things are better left to mother nature.

ponyexpress_1
10 years ago

I love winter sowing, don't get me wrong. I just think some things turn out better with different methods. It is hands down the best way to start perennials.... Definitely. Even some of those though would do better in the house or later in the year like Dianthus. Some annuals are better left to self seed in my opinion. For example, the petunias that have self sowed for quite a few years now in my pots are much bigger than what I see in the jugs. Same goes for snapdragon and nicotiana. The winter sown snapdragons are still puney tiny nothings. They don't even have their second leaves! The ones that self sowed in an uncovered pot, are three times the size at least. I know someone asked about things not considered for winter sowing. I would say go ahead and winter sow the petunias and snapdragons and nicotianas, just do it in an uncovered pot and transfer them later. At least in my zone 6 and warmer. At least for the last few years. Maybe do a small amount as insurance for extreme weather. I have had no problems for 5 or 6 years though. JMO

Comments (5)

Sponsored